Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a wood that is heavy enough to sink into the water from my lfs (more like market place). The wood is I think quite old, and very heavy, the type that sink on the river bed. The shape is naturally nice.

The store keeper told me that I can just put it right into my tank. I have washed, brushed and dried it. However, I am a little bit hesitant on adding them to my tank.

What do you think, shall I still prepare them as in the case of nature found drift wood?

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Drop it in. Chances are pretty low there is anything living or on that wood that would do any harm.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
i agree to just put in into your tank, but if u are hesitant then perhaps just boil it (if it is small enough) or put it in the bathtub and add boiling water. this will kill anyhting living on/in the wood. it wont hurt to do this and u will feed better about adding it your tank

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Even though, I would still def treat your driftwood just to be on the safe side and find surprises later on. I too have a heavy driftwood, 3 lbs that I treated. Some woods from LFS are treated and sold, but also insects do live anywhere and airbourn bacteria can cause some effects

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bgshortys said:
usually wood that is dense and sinks right away has a lot of mass. This means that there is more color to be bled out. It took my DW like 4 weeks to bleed out.
Yup, I drop it in and it tinted/bled tanning the water in the tank.....

Is the tint from the DW harmful to the Ps? Or is it just like black water extract?

I have changed the water, but the DW kept on bled tanning the water.... :sad:

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
I know exactly wich kind of wood you're talking about but, the name slips my memory. I have the same stuff.

The tinted water will eventually clear up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.