Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always thought three watts per gallon was the rule. The salesman at the most reputable lfs told me that a 300 watt heater in my wet/dry is all I need in my 150 gallon.
Whats the scoop?

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
2 200 watt should be good 150 will run all the time. 3 watts like you said is a good way to go. I always bump it up a size.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
A single 300w heater is keeping my 180 at a constant 80 degrees.

~Dj

G

·
I think 1-300w in a sump is fine this time of year but not sure how it would go in the winter.
I have found you always need an extra boost when heating a sump due to the speed of water that moves through.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
As been said,you should add at least 100w to your actual set up avoiding problems in winter season...depends on where you live...!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
5 Watts per gallon, 3 watts if using titanium. Usually, having two different heaters, balanced to the right wattage, on either side of the tank is best to distribute heat. The use of a powerhead can also help distribute heat if using only one in a huge tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.