Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought one of those Whisper Heaters from wal mart that are suppose to be 200 watt and should be able to heat my tank up but my temp only get's to around 68? i was reading in the instructions that if you don't have a cover for your tank it won't be able to get heat so i made a ghetto one for now consisting of cardboard wrapped in plastic and my temp still isn't going up? i have the heater all the way up? it keep seeing the light come on and off.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
How big is your tank? Maybe you need a higher wattage heater...How cold is it in your house (or where the tank is located)? There could also be a possibility of the heater being defective or just plain garbage.

I dont have any experience w/ whisper heaters but I'll recommend the visitherm stealths made by marineland. A nice, reliable heater @ a good price. Go check out petsmart.com & print out the pg w/ the price, take it to the actual store & they'll match it (if you already didnt know that). This could save ya some good coin

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How big is your tank? Maybe you need a higher wattage heater...How cold is it in your house (or where the tank is located)? There could also be a possibility of the heater being defective or just plain garbage.

I dont have any experience w/ whisper heaters but I'll recommend the visitherm stealths made by marineland. A nice, reliable heater @ a good price. Go check out petsmart.com & print out the pg w/ the price, take it to the actual store & they'll match it (if you already didnt know that). This could save ya some good coin :nod:
my tank is a 60 gallon and supposedly the heater is made for 60 gallons? and for $24 this piece of sh*t better work.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I understand your frustration. Thats why I recommended that particular brand. I've gone through my fair share of heaters throughout the years. Some cracked prematurely, some just weren't close to the thermometer reading...just not efficient. I've got the feeling the heater you purchased just isnt' up to the task. Maybe try returning it & replacing w/ the same model. If you get the same results, I suggest you take my advice. And hey, for the 250w its only 20.99

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
a good heater should but up top on a list of things to get.

i had a heater the wouldne heat any more so i got a $20-$25 heater and the next day water was ice cold....bumped it up one notch got home frome work +86.....i took it back got one that has the temp printed on top and now no probs.

PS

get a heater guard as well

your P could "F" up your heaters also

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Try putting the heater close to a moving water source like the filter intake or an air stone. If you are trying to reach say 82 Degrees and you are only getting 68, try setting the heater to 84 degrees and keep incrementing by 2 until it gets to where you want.

·
Registered
664 Posts
YA THOSE WALMART HEATERS DONT LAST LONG, WHAT I DO IS SAVE THE PACKAGE TO THE HEATER AND WHEN IT GOES OUT, I CLEAN IT UP AND TAKE IT BACK AND SAY IT ONLY WORKED FOR 2 DAYS, I JUST WANT TO GET ANOTHA ONE, IV HAD THE SAME HEATER (RECYLED) FOR 2 YEARS!!, AS LONG AS U HAVE THE ORIGANAL PACKAGE ITS ALL GOOD , U DONT NEED THE RECET, FOR A EXCHANGE, SAVE SUM $$

·
Registered
737 Posts
My brother has two of those heaters on a 30 gallon and they could not raise the temp. He had to add warm water to get it close and now they maintain fine. I think it says on the package that they cycle on & off for safety. They can't stay full on.

You can get a 300 watt titanium heater with a remote thermostat from Ken's Fish for 21.95 +shipping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.