Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am in a tricky situation currently, i need to know if u can use a small heater in a large tank i.e. 100w in 78g temporarily, i mean the thermostat would keep it on all the time right? Ive put the setting on the heater to 86 - 30 for more effect. I am stuck for 2 days like this cos my other heater cracked.
Your help/opinion/experience would be very welcome and appreciated

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
It depends on the room temperature of where the aquarium is located. Don't expect a small heater to heat a large tank in a cold room (even with the heater on 24/7). I would also not suggest that you keep the thermostat at 86, it might just get there (again depends on room temperature)...

My suggestion is to go to the LFS and purchase a properly sized heater. Not worth losing or stressing out your fish over a piece of equipment that's easily obtained.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
my experience with a small heater in a large tank is that is heats up the water all around the heater and shuts off even though the rest of the tank isn't warm enough. but you can turn it all the way up and hope the tempature dosen't get too high on a hot day.

·
Registered
237 Posts
all I can speak for is myself. I use a 100w heater in my 75g. I have a thermometer at both ends. One on the heater side and one at the opposite. It seems to keep my tank at a constant 82. I dont keep my aprtment overly warm. So I dont know. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.