Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Im having a hard time feeding my p's i usually give them beef hart mix.I use to have 3 reds in a 25 g they got scared when i try to feed them but i managed it.Now i got myself a 90 g whit my 3 original reds then i got 3 more reds and couple of days ago i got 3 nice carribes.Every time i try to feed them in the new tank they panic,get terrified,try to hide and they stay like that for at least 10 min by that time the food has already melted and is all over the tank.just so theres no murders in the tank i always keep feeders in there.But that way i cant starve them to get real piranha action!
I got a wooden top that commes whit the stand,maybe i should take it of to reduce the stress i give them when opening the tank???
please help

· Registered
3,149 Posts
First of all you have too many fish in there. Since you just added 6 different fish they are not aware of their surroundings so that is why they freak everytime you get near. It will take a bit of time ive had my pygos since october 2004 and sometimes they still freak, but mostly know that i am the hand that feeds.

Beef heart is a fatty food and should only be a treat every once in a while. you should try to feed them better food like shrimp, krill, catfish, or any other white fish meat.

good luck to you though

· Registered
480 Posts
A good population for a 90g tank would be 4 or 5 p's

· Registered
3,149 Posts
evil camel said:
Tanks,i will try to get them use to me.But they dont freak out every time get near them they trip when i open the top.
What would be a good population for a 90 g
[snapback]863819[/snapback]​
NP its natural for them to freak out when you open the top because they don't know u.... give it time they will get used to you. As far as population, i agree with acid warp 4 -5max. (going by the 20 gallon/fish guideline it should only be 4 though).

Also caribe tend to be more agressive as far as territory so they reccomend a little more.

IME though i have 3 caribe and 1 red belly in my 60gallon. I have it bare though so they won't fight over territory until i move them to their new 113 gallon pretty soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.