Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all may know, I have 8 RBs. When dinner time comes, most dont get a fair share of their meal when feeding non live foods. When my Ps eat, they usually leave a piece here, piece there behinde. When 2 of the smallest Ps are left on an empty stomach, I see them jerk through the gravel (like they do when they're scratching) and try to make afloat, any small piece of food not eatten. Never really seen this behavior from my previous Ps and wanna know if anyone elses did the same.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
No i never seen mine do this. Does not mean they don't though

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Fairly common for piranas in aquario, only real concern would be the much stronger and larger piranas will make a meal of them eventually. Always look at your young piranas and their behavior. Sometimes if something is unnatural the others who are always looking for an easy snack will take this unnatural behavior as a sign that fish is in trouble therefore......easy target to eat.

·
OPEFE
10,250 Posts
I´ve never seen mines doing that!

·
18,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hastatus said:
Fairly common for piranas in aquario, only real concern would be the much stronger and larger piranas will make a meal of them eventually. Always look at your young piranas and their behavior. Sometimes if something is unnatural the others who are always looking for an easy snack will take this unnatural behavior as a sign that fish is in trouble therefore......easy target to eat.
Ahh.. thanks for the insight, Frank!! I wouldn't have thought of it, but a common thing.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Most people don't notice it because they sometimes see the fish, blowing on the bottom of the tank and do not associate it with anything in particular except breeding or some other thing. To a predator or in this case, fellow pirana, that fish is being closel watched. Check it out next time what the others are doing when your one fish is foraging around or is doing something that the others are not.

·
18,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ill be sure to closely watch their activities during and after feeding time to see if they do notice or look out for the weakest link. Thanks for the homewrok, Frank. Ill be sure to post up.

·
18,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hastatus said:
Most people don't notice it because they sometimes see the fish, blowing on the bottom of the tank and do not associate it with anything in particular except breeding or some other thing. To a predator or in this case, fellow pirana, that fish is being closel watched. Check it out next time what the others are doing when your one fish is foraging around or is doing something that the others are not.
Ive studied my Ps and they do acutally "watch" closely to each others activity. I noticed that when one does something in particular, the others look to the direction to see what the comotion is all about. Also Ive seen them slowly glide towards that direction. Trip!!! Thanks Frank, another distinctive feature I would have never thought anything of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts