Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok harry, these are the best pics i could get for you to ID this problem i and another
member is having.

on the back, it has a little tinge of green/brown, on the front, little white hairs follow
the currant of the water.........the pics are kinda bad due to being soooooooo close.

this post isnt just for harry BTW. just sending some pics to him like he asked.

thanks for my sanity!!!!!!!!!!
Dennis

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
the only thing i would say is drain out all your water and do a huge cleaning in your tank..and recycle your tank again.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Hi Assclown,

Thanks for the pics.
I am sorry to say they are too obscure for me to identify it.
It just came in to my mind that I once had a slight problem of very light greyish film forming on the water surface.
I collected that in a container (sinking the container from one curved edge only under the surface so that water slowly run into the container and only from the surface). I then could see the brown-green coloration of that stuff better. I think that was mainly bacterial growth, with some Diatoms too.
But all that was unicellular, no filaments there.

Harry

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
the only thing i would say is drain out all your water and do a huge cleaning in your tank..and recycle your tank again.
Totally unneccesary.

Scrape it off if it bothers you, but most likely just diatoms and bacteria as harry said. As for the little white hairs, most likely algae as well, but could be hydra (although you should be able to see the tentacles).

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its def not hydras, ive seen those..........yuck!!!

i just want to find a cure to get rid of this, ive never had algee before and it bugging me

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another thing i just noticed, no white hairs where there is currant
right in front of the powerhead, there is no hairs or film, correct me if im wrong,
but algee will grow no matter where, right???????

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
another thing i just noticed, no white hairs where there is currant
right in front of the powerhead, there is no hairs or film, correct me if im wrong,
but algee will grow no matter where, right???????
Not exactly, a good strong current prevents some types of algae from growing because they can't stay attached to the glass.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
heres my plan:

i just dot rid of my company today, im going to rip apart my tank and scrub like i usually
do and scrub the decore. i have aquired 2 more powerheads which will put me at 4.

i plan on putting the bigger ones in the back corners aiming them in the front of the tank
and the others at the top front aiming twords the back center, along with some algee
destroyer.........wish me luck!!!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
This is what that white/grayish stuff is. It is mainly different types of rotifers, animals that eat other smaller organisms from the water. I have it on all of my tanks. From what I have seen, it seems more beneficial to have it. It wipes off very easily, and does not grow that fast, so it's not really a big deal.
Atmosphere Leaf Insect Branch Sky

Attachments

·
ooo barracuda
6,075 Posts

assclown just scrape it off like bioteach said. No nead to rip it apart. I have that occasionally when i leave uneaten food sin my tank. It gets on my filter and in the corner sof my tank. Just scrub it off or net it, cause it stinks like hell.

Just be sure to get all uneaten food sout even the small pieces.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i laughed when he said drain it all out and recycle
hell of pics you took there of those micro buddies!!!

i just did what i said i was going to do, ill update next week

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
~~~~~~~~update~~~~~~~~~~

the elusive white stuff on my glass has not grown back yet!!!!!
more currant or algea killer, dont know which cured it, but lets say both, so far, so good!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts