Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can halogen lighting be used with a planted talk. If not, what kind of lighting should I consider?

Thanks for your help!

On a side note, I have seen a lot of pictures of tanks with mossy plants carpeting the bottom of the tank, which look great. How do you clean the tank of waste like you would with sand or gravel vac.

·
Registered
186 Posts
NO!, they arnt that good, could probably grow a low light plant but not very well and would be difficult, i suggest you get a flourecent, go to any shop that sells cheap lights (walmart) and get a shop light of appropriate size and two sunlight bulbs. thats the easiest and cheapest way,

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not really looking for the easiest or cheapest way to light my tank. I am looking for something different. I didn't mention before that i was planning on using 6 to 10 lights spread out across the tank.

When you say low light plant, do you mean intensity or Kelvin?

From what i have heard, plants need a light with between 5000 and 6500k to grow. which this light satisfies. it is 300 to 500 watts of lighting. I just got a wet willy.
Anyways, has anyone ever tried it?

thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've never heard of halogens being used for planted tanks. My guess is that they probably do not put out the right spectum for plant growth. Also as state previously, halgens get incredibly hot.

If you'e looking for a high intensity bulb that is good for plant growth and you have a lot fo money to spend, go with HQI metal halide lighting.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your responds.

I looked into a halide lighting a little bit but the price tag of 600 to a 1000 usd kind of turned me off. my tank is 96" in lenght so the light fixture will not even be as long as the tank.

Assuming heat was not an issue, say the lights were suspended 1-2 feet above the tank. Is 5300k light okay for plant growth.

thanks for listening and responding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts