Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2" spilo in my tank right now and it can never seem to eat even half of one small feeder. One of the feeders is about 1/3 eaten (from the tail end) and it's still swimming around. I can see flesh coming out of it's wound but it still looks really lively. Anyways, my question is about ammonia levels in my tank. I know that dead feeders will jack up the ammonia level in the tank if left there to rot but what about 1/3 eaten feeders that are still alive? Will they admit ammonia from their wounds?

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
No, the fish will not emit ammonia from the wound...but the feeder will add to the bioload of the tank.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
The ammonia is caused by decomposing organic material. I think the blood and waste the feeder emits will increase the bioload yet this should be well within the bounds of your filtration.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Xenon said:
The ammonia is caused by decomposing organic material. I think the blood and waste the feeder emits will increase the bioload yet this should be well within the bounds of your filtration.
you said it, and then of course there may be scales or pieceslaying at the bottom of the tank as well, just get the siphon out

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I would not leave him in there, an open cut or belly can atract infections by parasites and or ick, ich, fungus and all kinds of stuff, then you piranhas could eat him and get sick.
MAD

·
Registered
467 Posts
Uneaten feeders will create ammonia just like overfeeding them and by them leaving behind a lot of waste.

SMTT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts