Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed what looks like a dog hair sticking our of one of my fish's gills. I have three one inch p's in a 55g tank. I was wondering if I should try to catch the fish, then take the hair out myself. If I go this route, should I use tweezers? Or should I let the fish work it out itself? It has been there for at least two hours. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys! :rockin:

·
Registered
467 Posts
If your sure its a hair and not a parasite then I would see if you could grab the hair with tweezers without removing the fish from the tank.

Another thing, stop washing your hair in their tank!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Don't pull anything out! Some of these wormy parasites can live in segments. Go to our Article and Forum section. There is a link there for identifying parasites and diseases. See if you can find the worm that is bugging your P.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
fishman2 said:
Gill flukes!
Thats what I think.
Try Steratzin (sp) - the medicine with a yellow box!
that should kill the basturd

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I woke up this morning and the hair was still there. The gill looked irritated, red, and puffy. It looked like my finger would if I left a splinter in there. So I took my chances and netted him, removed it with tweezers, and put him back. Now, I can hardly tell it was there. If he lives, great. If he dies, I'll buy another for 5 bucks. Thanks for the input. Sure enough, it was a hair from my dog. Lol.

·
Registered
467 Posts
LOL, I find hair in my tanks too but I don't know were they come from. Thats why i though it was a hair and not a parasite.

SMTT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts