3" Jack Dempsey
2" Zebra Mbuna
2" Texas
1.5" Green Terror
1.5" Livingstoni
1" Kenyi
2" Tinfoil Barb
Two 1" convicts

I normally feed them twice a day with pre-soaked cichlid pellets. Well today, I changed their 2nd feeding of the day from pellets to a 1.5" goldfish. I basically wanted to see if they'd shred it up.

GOD DAMN, DID THEY!

It was f*cking awesome. I threw it in like I do their normal food, and at first they all stood there looking startled and surprised, but after a few moments the Texas and Livingstoni took the initiative, whereupon all the others also got into a little frenzy and started tearing this goldfish apart like you wouldnt believe. It swam into a corner in an attempt to hide, but these fish just converged on it like a bunch of hellspawn. They took the head/eyes/jaws out first, within the first minute.

I've never actually seen a cichlid bite into another similar-sized fish till now, and it ain't pretty. It certainly isnt a piranha bite, and when they bite into the sides of a fish, its much more of a scale-removal, rather than a deep flesh wound. Regardless, after a series of bites and tears, the body cavity's contents started spewing out.

It sure was a good spectacle. Those teeny little guys make me proud!

Next week, I think I'll try tossing in a 2" or 3" fish from my feeder tank.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eh....
My digital cam really blows :

here

Other than showing the basic outlay of my tank, my cam doesn't help much
I'll be damned if even I can make out any pics of individual fish :sad:

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dead golfish said:
those pics arent that good no offence but thats cool im thinking about getting a couple of chiclids and a tinfoil barb those things look awsome
no kidding, but the other guy bitched about getting pics, so i did

·
Registered
384 Posts
My convicts always try and get their share of the goldfish away from the piranhas when I throw them in, it's pretty funny, they go crusing up like they're all bad ass, then see these big teeth ripping the flesh, and they're like, "yeah guys, I softened him up for ya" I didn't realize cichlids were so vicious.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
scrapedogg said:
My convicts always try and get their share of the goldfish away from the piranhas when I throw them in, it's pretty funny, they go crusing up like they're all bad ass, then see these big teeth ripping the flesh, and they're like, "yeah guys, I softened him up for ya" I didn't realize cichlids were so vicious.
well, convicts definitely are

·
Registered
17 Posts
common place in my cichlid tanks. Very fun to watch indeed. Ever see a 16" jag engulf a 10" fish see the thing disappear after it stares at you helplessly through the tank
in about 30 seconds. I have. I like this activity better than watching the reds tear chunks out for some reason. I think its the display of power over the display of pack hunters ganging up. I don't know really.

·
Registered
17 Posts
piranha45 said:
scrapedogg said:
well, convicts definitely are
lol my males are quite the little punks. kinda funny how they think they are so tough

·
Beautiful One
8,798 Posts
I would invest in a digital camera.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I dont knwo if you already tried this with your camera, but .. use the flash. Mine is sucky major booty as well but when I use the flash the pics turn out alot better. I hope this will help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cannot believe what I am reading on this thread.

If you don't have to feed live fish then why the hell do it? One pervert then actually asks to see some pics.

Would you like it if I set a pack of dogs on every one of you sick bastards? Would it be "fun to watch"?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
If you want to feed them feeders it your choice, your chance of them getting a disease and your fault they're eating growth inhibitants. For that reason I think it's dumb but ego centrics think it's cool. To me it's no big deal to see a fish tear apart a goldfish. I personally get no kick of feeding feeders and no kick out of spending a couple dollars a week, and gas to the lfs on them. Not to mention searching for an lfs with adaquate healthy stock. Cut your finger and stick your bleeding hand in there and then I'll call you a man..

·
Frontosa King
9,990 Posts
[quote name='piranha45' date='May 13 2003, 08:56 PM' post='64157']
In a 55 gallon cichlid tank (used only as a grow-out tank), I have:

3" Jack Dempsey
2" Zebra Mbuna
2" Texas
1.5" Green Terror
1.5" Livingstoni
1" Kenyi
2" Tinfoil Barb
Two 1" convicts

all these fish i have highlited are african cichlids and require a higher PH then the others you have in the tank.

so when you finally upgrade to a bigger tank i would suggest separating the africans from the group

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.