Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While browsing the site (not logged on), I noticed that when viewing a poll, you can see the results of the voting while you're a guest. I then logged on and noticed that those results could not be seen until after I had voted, which is the way it's supposed to be.

Personally, I think it defeats the purpose of securing the results, when every visitor/guest/user not logged in, can still view those results. For if someone really wanted to know the results of the poll without voting, they could simply log off and re-visit that poll to see in which direction the votes are heading, then sign back in and possibly make their vote based on the results that were just seen (instead of simply voting based on their own opinion).

Is it possible to make it so guests/visitors can not view the results of polls without actually voting themselves (which would either require the user to log in, or the guest to create an account in order to vote)?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Personally, I don't think its that big of a deal, and I think anybody that takes the time to log out, look at the poll results and log back in is a complete tool anyway..

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
moeplz said:
I think anybody that takes the time to log out, look at the poll results and log back in is a complete tool anyway..

[snapback]933542[/snapback]​
True, and I won't argue with that... But it still seems pointless for visitors/guests to view the poll results while logged in users can't (unless they have actually voted). I could care less with the silly "which Piranha should I buy" polls, I'm mainly speaking of the Monthly contests (which some people do actually take serious).

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
So basically you are saying that a guest to this site should not be allowed to see the voting/results for any contest or poll? That doesnt seem right to me.

What real value could anyone get from viewing the voting of the POTM/MOTM prior to placing a vote?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Grosse Gurke said:
So basically you are saying that a guest to this site should not be allowed to see the voting/results for any contest or poll? That doesnt seem right to me.

What real value could anyone get from viewing the voting of the POTM/MOTM prior to placing a vote?
[snapback]933603[/snapback]​
Then why can't members view the results prior to voting?

To answer your questions, yes a guest can view the results, by simply signing up and voting for him/her self... Besides, that's what we want, more members, to expand this community (IMO), so many more will have a better understanding and greater knowledge of Piranhas.

What real value?, none to my knowledge, but I know that many people are swayed by crowdes (i.e. "root for the under-dog"). Seeing the results prior to voting may or may not sway people in one direction or another (once again, IMO).

·
Registered
850 Posts
The contests are asking what picture you like best not see if you can vote for the picture everyone else is voting for. I personaly could give two shits either way, but I guess people got to bitch about something.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Piranha Guy said:
I guess people got to bitch about something.
[snapback]933632[/snapback]​
Not bitching... Just stating

And yes, in theory, everyone votes for whatever/whichever/whoever they like the best... But in reality, as we all know, it's not always that way.

Congrats to you if you can make unbiased decisions based on what you like, but many people need for somebody to hold their hand just to take a sh*t, heaven forbid they actually make a decision on their own

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Xenon thinks its a good suggestion, but hey, he must be a fucknut too right guys?

Look for yourself click

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I SAY THAT IS A GREAT IDEA! NO ONE SHOULD SEE VOTES UNLESS THEY HAVE VOTED. MAKE GUESTS JOIN BY NOT LETTING THEM SEE POLLS UNLESS THEY JOIN

·
Registered
463 Posts
I agree and that should be change for the simple fact that I do that all the time before I vote.

LOL no just playing but I'm sure other people do that. before the vote and that is not cool for someone who is hoping to win. good idea

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
mori0174 said:
Xenon thinks its a good suggestion, but hey, he must be a fucknut too right guys?

Look for yourself click
[snapback]933734[/snapback]​
Because Xenon thinks it is a good idea makes it a good idea? Thats a pretty pathetic way to decide what suggestions should and should not be incorporated into this site. The reason this is an open forum is for others to give there opinion on various ideas. There are other things to consider besides the impact on just the contests....like the fact that if this would be inplemented it would effect every poll on this site.
I have a hard time believing that there are actually people that insecure that they would need to view how others have voted on an annonomous poll before voting...now that is pathetic....not like we are deciding the Presidency here.

I still say it is a bad idea because it will exile guests from enjoying certain aspects of this site.

·
tap or snap
11,911 Posts
Grosse Gurke said:
mori0174 said:

Look for yourself click
Because Xenon thinks it is a good idea makes it a good idea? Thats a pretty pathetic way to decide what suggestions should and should not be incorporated into this site. The reason this is an open forum is for others to give there opinion on various ideas. There are other things to consider besides the impact on just the contests....like the fact that if this would be inplemented it would effect every poll on this site.
I have a hard time believing that there are actually people that insecure that they would need to view how others have voted on an annonomous poll before voting...now that is pathetic....not like we are deciding the Presidency here.

I still say it is a bad idea because it will exile guests from enjoying certain aspects of this site.
[snapback]934233[/snapback]​

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
hyphen said:
Grosse Gurke said:
mori0174 said:

Look for yourself click

[snapback]934233[/snapback]​

[snapback]934978[/snapback]​
Hahaha i got owned? You are really are a lot slower than i thought. How does letting people who arent members of the site see poll results BEFORE the poll is closed help them in any way? Lastly, just because you wouldnt look to see what the current vote is, doesnt mean others wont. I hope this stupid argument is laid to rest and Xenon implements it. Just another useless post by hypen.

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
mori0174 said:
Hahaha i got owned? You are really are a lot slower than i thought. How does letting people who arent members of the site see poll results BEFORE the poll is closed help them in any way?
How does it hurt? If you are interested in the topic, and are not a member, you can not see other peoples opinions on it....like who is winning the potm....or whos everyones favorite football team. Whats the real problem with allowing them to view how the voting is going. How about we dont let anyone see the voting...even after they vote. I mean whos to say that people that have voted are not telling people that havent voted what the score is?
Lastly, just because you wouldnt look to see what the current vote is, doesnt mean others wont.
Who cares....look all you want....try to sway the vote....be a follower all your life....I will somehow attempt to carry on with the knowledge that there are people out there that know who is leading the potm before they vote....it will be hard...but I think I will sleep at night.
I hope this stupid argument is laid to rest and Xenon implements it.
Why is this argument stupid? Cant we discuss an idea fully before just blindly putting it in place?

My vote is still
until someone can give me a good reason why this should be considered.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Grosse Gurke said:
mori0174 said:
Hahaha i got owned? You are really are a lot slower than i thought. How does letting people who arent members of the site see poll results BEFORE the poll is closed help them in any way?
How does it hurt? If you are interested in the topic, and are not a member, you can not see other peoples opinions on it....like who is winning the potm....or whos everyones favorite football team. Whats the real problem with allowing them to view how the voting is going. How about we dont let anyone see the voting...even after they vote. I mean whos to say that people that have voted are not telling people that havent voted what the score is?
Lastly, just because you wouldnt look to see what the current vote is, doesnt mean others wont.
Who cares....look all you want....try to sway the vote....be a follower all your life....I will somehow attempt to carry on with the knowledge that there are people out there that know who is leading the potm before they vote....it will be hard...but I think I will sleep at night.
I hope this stupid argument is laid to rest and Xenon implements it.
Why is this argument stupid? Cant we discuss an idea fully before just blindly putting it in place?

My vote is still
until someone can give me a good reason why this should be considered.
[snapback]935935[/snapback]​
There is no good reason for it NOT to be considered. Your argument about others being "followers" shoots down your other argument of people needing to follow others to see what a good picture is. Cant they figure it out on their own? I guess visitors are simply too weak minded to see a picture that would appeal to them without seeing what others like. And I know the opinion of piranha-fury members on what the best football team is has become something everyone on the planet should have an interest in, but Im sure if they really want to know they could simply become a member. Its not like it takes 5 minutes or anything like that. The fact is you have no real reason for it not to be implemented, but you cant even see that.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
mybe we should vote for it with this Suggestion active on the vote for the Suggestion..hope you guys understand what i mean

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
mori0174 said:
There is no good reason for it NOT to be considered. Your argument about others being "followers" shoots down your other argument of people needing to follow others to see what a good picture is. Cant they figure it out on their own? I guess visitors are simply too weak minded to see a picture that would appeal to them without seeing what others like. And I know the opinion of piranha-fury members on what the best football team is has become something everyone on the planet should have an interest in, but Im sure if they really want to know they could simply become a member. Its not like it takes 5 minutes or anything like that. The fact is you have no real reason for it not to be implemented, but you cant even see that.

[snapback]936023[/snapback]​
I never said it shouldnt be considered....I said I am not for it. This forum is for ideas to be considered and discussed.....not so a suggestion can be made and automatically implemented.....and isnt this what is happening here? A discussion about this idea.

I dont have an argument for the members.....I think it is pathetic for anyone to feel a need to veiw the results before voting.
Here is my reason why I dont like the suggestion:
There have been many polls where I enter a null vote because I dont have a strong enough opinion on the subject one way or the other to vote...but I am curious about what others may think. The option to view the voting on any poll/contest would not be available to a guests...I dont like that. I feel the option of a guests to view a poll/contest voting outweights the need of some dork to research his vote before deciding which picture he likes best.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts