Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
I first thought that too clay, Green spotted puffer.
You can bring fish over just by add a little more dissolved salt each day, Or put him in a container and drip in the course of a hour or two then at the same time raise your main tank salinity to full salt 1.23 to 1.25.
I have done this with mollys but not puffers. Should be fine though, Linear chaos would know alot better than i.

·
"Tony Danza!"
574 Posts
Before going up to 1.023+, I would seriously consider keeping it at 1.021 or so. Slight hyposalinity is great for staving off disease and infection.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Clay said:
GSP as in green star polyps?
sorry, Raptor was right, Green Spotted Puffer

so it's okay to move now? any idea how long till i "need" to move him?

i need to move him out of the tank he's in now when he needs full salt, because that tank needs to remain brackish

·
5,310 Posts
After doing a lil research it says freshwater to a light brackish water is ideal for them. One Dr say he has kept them in freshwater for 18 years. No where did i see a site stating they need full salt when they are adults. Are you thinking figure 8's.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
puffers are the hardest thing to get correct info on. i remember seeing a link posted by a member pufferpunk, who i hear knows her stuff. and it said they needed full salt for adults... then again, until recently i only thought they grew to an inch!

lemme search too

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay found this site

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BrackishSubWebIndex/gspsart.htm

I suggest keeping GSPs at low-end BW when juvenile <2", (in a specific gravity, or SG of 1.005-08), at 2-4", medium BW (SG 1.010-15) and adult >4" SW (SG 1.018-22)
but the picture on that site doesnt look like my puffer, but others i see lables gsp do look similar...

does more digging...

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay double checked, mines definiately a green spotted puffer...

he's gonna stay in his tank till he gets biggers then the others, and use the suggested SG 1.018-22 when he reaches 4"

looks like i answer my own question! haha!

·
5,310 Posts
Didn't catch this site. Heres some info from wet web media. They state that they do live in full salt as adults. I see what you are talking about conflicting info.
Click me

·
5,310 Posts
I posted the same thing :laugh: But i tend to lean towards wet web media info. They haven't steered me wrong yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
LOL...good job you guys! Raptor you did a great job finding the good info!! I slowly converted my GSP's to full salt over a year...fluctuating the salinity until it was finally 1.019-1.020 which is where it should be for puffs as mentioned hyposalinity comes in very handy if there is a problem in a puffer tank as they are scaleless fish and are without gill covers which makes for some VERY sensitive fishies!

Glad to see such conscientious puffer keepers!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts