Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just popped into the LFS which i brought my 3 RBPs from in November and they still have 1 left from the batch i got mine from. my 3 are approx double the size of the one still there. strange to see the big difference. asked the LFS guy about the main causes and he said that stress can lead to them not growing very quickly, also he said the rbp left in the store only eats every 3 days, thought that when they were still young they should be eating everyday? anyway, its good to compare them to see how well mine are growing!!

·
Breaki'n all day...
4,413 Posts
it just goes to show how bad their care is in the stores
eating every 3 days!! thats INSANE!!
ahhh just makes me want to go buy more lol

·
Registered
589 Posts
Depending on how big they are, every 3 days is not terribly bad IMHO. Now, if they're babies, they will most definitely grow slowly and some might even die, but if they're not, they don't eat that often in the wild. I mean, a P can go a week w/o eating without any problems, 3 days isn't tough.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the one in the store was like 2.5inches, mine are approx 4 inches now.

surely at 2.5 inches they should be eating more than once every 3 days

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
LFS just don't feed their fish everyday on purpose. Firstly, it saves money and time, and secondly the fish don't grow as fast thus allowing them to keep them in smaller tanks. They feed them just enough to sustain life.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Obviously that is a generalization, im sure there are some stores which take better care of the fish they want to sell.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Same deal here dude...on boxing day i bought 2 1.5" reds from a lfs and soon decided from overbullying and such i should get two more to even out the beatings...the second couple i got were considerably smaller than the ones i've fed for a week.(they were about 50 reds in the tank where i bought them..im sure they had to struggle for food)....mine are constantly swimmin in the current, and they eat a ton..producing about a 1/4 inch of fish a week...wont be long till i need a new tank!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts