Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering this guys....since my fish dont eat everyday...im going to feed them 2-3 times a week....they ate a sh*t load yesterday after not eating for 4 days....so if i feed them every 2-3 days with raw shrimp, will they still grow the same if i fed them small bits everyday>?> 4 caribe 6", 2 reds 6", 80g (48L x 24D x 16H) thanks guys

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
at six inches i would still feed them every day or two

and i would think that more meals that are smaller would get the metabolism going
just like in people

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
at six inches i would still feed them every day or two

and i would think that more meals that are smaller would get the metabolism going
just like in people
hmmm....just because if i tossed in shrimp every say, maybe a piece or 2 would get aten...plus they've been throwing it up last week...didnt yesterday tho...i just want them to beable to eat what i throw in....i also judge upon throwing more in on how fast they ate the last piece..i just want them to grow :rasp: ...

and ive been feeding them this raw for about 2-3 weeks...how soon before i notice some color diff etc...thanks guys

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
do u cut the shrimp up
i cut all my food into small bites and throw them in one at a time so they have to be quick to get one

and you may never notice a color change from food
mine have good color all except one who has no red at all
even though they eat the exact same things

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do u cut the shrimp up
i cut all my food into small bites and throw them in one at a time so they have to be quick to get one

naw, i dont cut the shrimp up, i like seeing them fight for it, and ripping it just to get a piece......from what people told me, which made me go to shrimp was they said it would help out with the color well, and energy/health...

·
Registered
265 Posts
do u cut the shrimp up

naw, i dont cut the shrimp up, i like seeing them fight for it, and ripping it just to get a piece......from what people told me, which made me go to shrimp was they said it would help out with the color well, and energy/health...

[/quote]

I think raw shrimp is pretty good but I don't know if it has all the nutrients to be a staple food... I would vary their food a lot more or even get them on some pellets if you can.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i really dont feel like feeding them pellets...we'll see tho...a member from this site, or even a few...which i look up 2 for good respons's says raw shrimp is great for the fish's coloration, and health...thats the only reason why i got it....

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
i really dont feel like feeding them pellets...we'll see tho...a member from this site, or even a few...which i look up 2 for good respons's says raw shrimp is great for the fish's coloration, and health...thats the only reason why i got it....
only the shell will help in the color area

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I havnt had any luck with my P's eating the shell. I get the kinda thats pre peeled though. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. They still eat the freeze dried shrimp though which is the whole shrimp, so theres a lot of crunching going on when they eat those. Kinda sad my fish eat better than i do. I feed my fish then go boil water and make Ramen lol.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i heard the whole raw shrimp is good because its raw...do i really have to go back to feeders
dont feed feeders! feed raw shrimp along with other fish
[/quote]

well if from what people are telling me that the ONLY good thing on shrimp is the shells...then whats the point in feeding them that...i could get 40 large feeders, feed them a bunch of bloodworms, get them fat and feed them that..i guess that would be more nutritional right?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have noticed a boost in my P's colors since I started feeding them raw shrimp (shell on)....but I feed pretty much 50/50 = raw shrimp/Talapia with the occasional Molly for fins/guts, etc......

its pretty cool to see good nutrition in action.....all the previous Reds I kept where in my "Pre-Piranha-fury" days and fed nothing but live feeders
boy...what a difference! I wish I had pics of my old P's verses pics of my new.....the color difference is amazing! I know good nutrition is not the ONLY contributing factor to a beautiful piranha....but I also know it plays a big part!

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
Don't go back to feeders. Why are you so worried about color anyways? If your fish are 6" already, they will most likely lose most of thier color by the time they hit 8-9". Cariba tend to be mostly silver as they age. Go through peoples pics of large cariba, and tell me how many you see that are over 8" that still have the color of a juvie. It's good that you want to try and keep the color as long as you can, but I would be more woried about growth IMO.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't go back to feeders. Why are you so worried about color anyways? If your fish are 6" already, they will most likely lose most of thier color by the time they hit 8-9". Cariba tend to be mostly silver as they age. Go through peoples pics of large cariba, and tell me how many you see that are over 8" that still have the color of a juvie. It's good that you want to try and keep the color as long as you can, but I would be more woried about growth IMO.
thats true man....so if i want good growth, what would you suggest

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
FEED FEED FEED, and tons of water changes. I have some cariba, and thier growth is not all that great IMO. Terns double thier size in a few months, but maybe I got a crapy batch of cariba. Bump your temp up to 80- 82, unless aggresion becomes a problem. This kicks thier metabolism into high gear. varied diet of raw foods.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.