Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have 3 rhoms i got them as babies they where bout 3/4 of inch i have them in a 75 gal tank in a years time there now 5 inches.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ok this threat is talking about the rhoms from 5-6 inches...How about if they were just babies...What is the normal growth rate to 5-6 inches....How long does it take.....I dont have the drip system but i do have powerhead,do frequent water changes,large tank etc...

Anyone here had an inch rhom ???if u did how long it took for it to grow to 4 inches ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Knifeman -
Any suggestions on food and food variety for a baby rhom (3-4")

Also, since the Rhom dosen't have to fight for his food as he is the sole inhabitant what would you recomend to increase his eating habbits other then increasing the water flow.

Some info the board might like is what food did you feed at different size's and how often.

I picked up a new rhom and will be posting my results here while following the above suggestions.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
leech123 said:
i have 3 rhoms i got them as babies they where bout 3/4 of inch i have them in a 75 gal tank in a years time there now 5 inches.
[snapback]913478[/snapback]​
necroxeon said:
Ok this threat is talking about the rhoms from 5-6 inches...How about if they were just babies...What is the normal growth rate to 5-6 inches....How long does it take.....I dont have the drip system but i do have powerhead,do frequent water changes,large tank etc...

Anyone here had an inch rhom ???if u did how long it took for it to grow to 4 inches ?
[snapback]950671[/snapback]​
Adam said:
Knifeman -
Any suggestions on food and food variety for a baby rhom (3-4")

Also, since the Rhom dosen't have to fight for his food as he is the sole inhabitant what would you recomend to increase his eating habbits other then increasing the water flow.

Some info the board might like is what food did you feed at different size's and how often.

I picked up a new rhom and will be posting my results here while following the above suggestions.
[snapback]956214[/snapback]​
I am in the same boat, I have a 1 1/2" rhom and am wondering if it grows its whole life in an aquarium will it still be possible for it to reach 12+"? Because he is a baby, should I be feeding twice daily?

Aaronic

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
When my rhom was only 1 and a half inches I would feed him 4x a day. In less than 2 months, he's grown almost 2 inches.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
GoJamieGo said:
When my rhom was only 1 and a half inches I would feed him 4x a day. In less than 2 months, he's grown almost 2 inches.
[snapback]1028147[/snapback]​
thanks, ill start doing that

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only time I bought a 1 inch rhom was when it came in with a bag of tetras. I took the little guy home and he was easily 3 inches after a year, I actually did some water changes everyday. I have always had flow in my rhoms tanks.

I worked at a tropical fish store that had their tanks hooked up to one filter system. The sump was always flowing hard, they kept a rhomb in there since he was a baby about 3 inches. I cannot remember how old it was but when we decided to take him out and display him, he measured 13 inches. The other one we had in another sump was not as big maybe 9 inches, I dunno how long that one was there.

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
Does anyone have any infor on where to buy an automatic drip system? The link is broken in this thread.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I do not think this is working because no one reported a small rhom growing to a 12 incher. Probably the guy knifeman was talking to just wanted to sell his small black piranhas. Dealers like used car dealers can lie to make a sell. I am just assuming.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Exodon_Tetra said:
I do not think this is working because no one reported a small rhom growing to a 12 incher. Probably the guy knifeman was talking to just wanted to sell his small black piranhas. Dealers like used car dealers can lie to make a sell. I am just assuming.
[snapback]1201342[/snapback]​
Quite the leap in assumption given you knew not the man nor his intent!

·
TOP DOG
4,187 Posts
Exodon_Tetra said:
[snapback]1201342[/snapback]​
ya you are way off. oliver is the man.
wes

·
Registered
300 Posts
gigante piranha, are you not the guy in the first page saying that this will not work? I agreed with you since you said that there is no document case of it and you had doubts. So far, not one person made a less than 4 incher gain 6 or more inches. And 6 inches is not a lot

·
Registered
367 Posts
Exodon_Tetra said:
gigante piranha, are you not the guy in the first page saying that this will not work? I agreed with you since you said that there is no document case of it and you had doubts. So far, not one person made a less than 4 incher gain 6 or more inches. And 6 inches is not a lot
[snapback]1202251[/snapback]​
Et, my comment to you was more in line with what you felt or assume was "knifeman"'s intent in his whole attempt to grow out large rhoms in captivity. I just want to make it clear that he had excellent success in growing out his pirayas and such with his unique wet drip filtration and he sincerely believed he could do like wise with large rhoms. I don't think based on what I know of John, that he had any other ulterior motive other than to accomplish that task that to date no one else has succeeded with. To this day I still believe there are other underlying causes or reasons as to why large rhoms in captivty over say 12 inches stop growing in our tank environments. He thought water quality was the reason and I was not convinced of that. Anyways, I was hoping someone would have tried out his method for a prolong period time to see if there was any tangible results.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Excellent post everyone
, here is a little info from my own observations, tank is 5x2x2 always ran large eheim canister filter not much flow in large tank so I added large power head after about four weeks i noticed the powerhead was killing my snails apple etc, ( get stuck on intake ) so i turned it off and almost straght away his appetite dropped significantly! as much proof as i need 2 suggest food intake and growth rate are linked! Food quality also makes a huge diff mine have always prefered fish 2 meat and fresh over frozen. In front of a few friends my 13 incher ate a 12inch Launce in two bites! (Long thin fish used for fishing , I net my own locally. Every fish i have ever owned loves these little critters, I even hand fed them to my Jardini.

My first black was from brazil got him at 7.5 inches battered an emaciated 1.5 year or so later the fish was just under 10 inches! the fish always had a good appetite, but was a little shy. This fish was sold coz I was offered a 13plus incher for a price i could not refuse! have not seen fish for over a year but am due to 'visit' soon , will keep updated.

IF IT EATS WELL IT WILL GROW WELL!

·
КГБ
10,910 Posts
i had one rhom in my tank and i thogught to my self pyogs grow fast becuse they compete for food so why dont i make it seem like ym rhoms have to compete so i divided the tank with clear glass so the rhoms thoguht they were in the same water and both of there food intake was doubled and they have put on about.5inch in a month

81 - 100 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.