Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
HI

Welcome

I dont think there are any strict rules as to the height of gravel as long as you have enough to cover the bottom of the tank then that should be fine. From personal experience I have always tried to have about 1 inch of gravel that way any waste get into the stones instead of just lying on the top but I have to mention that most of the tanks I had I used and under gravel filter too!

Good luck

T

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
what ever you think looks best. Different type of gravel looks better with less or more. All up to you. Just play with it from time to time, until you figure out what u like most.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Gravel plays a roll with cycling, bacteria consuming and personality in your tank. I usually have mine around 2" from the bottom so that it wouldn't consume too much waste caught in between and enough to vaccum out without destroying much bacteria.

But as said.. its really up to the owner on their interest and imagination.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
If you have under gravel filter (UGF) no less than 1 1/2"-2", if you have powerfilter all you need is 1/2"-1"!

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
1-2 inches is good. I have a layer of sand that is about 3 inches in my 180. Alot of bacteria culture there.

~Dj

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.