Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
depends do u want live plants cause they need 3-4 inchs. i have seen bare bottom tanks with zero gravel. so im guessing it up to up and what you like and want

G

·
3'' is perfect IMO, but if you dont have cichlids or live plants, then a more shallow gravel bed will help keep your tank cleaner and wont harbour as many "nasties".

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
3'' is perfect IMO, but if you dont have cichlids or live plants, then a more shallow gravel bed will help keep your tank cleaner and wont harbour as many "nasties".
Actually with live plants, 3" is about the shallowest I would recommend going. A lot of times if you are doing a lot of aquascaping you may get anywhere up to 7" deep to get the right look.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Agreed ^^^

If your tank is not planted, then any depth is fine. However, if you are going to have a planted tank then 3" - 7" will be needed. Personally, I have a 3" mixed gravel bed.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
my 35 i used to have about 3"....for non planted you can go from zero to 3-4" if you want, depending on the look your trying to get too

G

·
Actually with live plants, 3" is about the shallowest I would recommend going. A lot of times if you are doing a lot of aquascaping you may get anywhere up to 7" deep to get the right look.
[/quote]

Well its hard to judge...I usually had about an inch at the front then near 7 inches mounded up against the back of the tank, where my larger plants were. The old "depth" trick.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
General rule is 1lb per gallon

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I don't know where you read 1/4 inch... but that's ridiculously shallow.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
General rule is 1lb per gallon
That is the rule for general stuff... for plants though you usually use more depending on the density of your substrate. For my 125g, I have about 180lbs of substrate and could go for another 20-40lbs of it. On the other hand, in my 75g I have Soilmaster and 50lbs was more than enough to do the whole tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts