Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
Joined
·
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many GPH will i need for my tank? all most a 500 gal tank, and i would like my tank to turn over about 9 - 10 times a day. if i do that math, its like 500x10 times a day = 5000 / 24 hours in a day, = 209 Pump? So what should i get?
im going to use a home made wet/dry. so i know i will lose some GPH in the length of the hose i use.
 

·
joey'd is da man
Joined
·
14,077 Posts
I have no idea, but I don't think it is too important, don't worry about it.
 

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
Joined
·
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Innes said:
I have no idea, but I don't think it is too important, don't worry about it.
How could it not be important? I am talkign about filters for my tank? if i would to put a 15 GPH filter for my tank. it wouldnt work to well.
 

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
Joined
·
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Xenon said:
wouldnt you want it to turn over more than 9-10 times a day?!!?
I was told 8 is good enuff, maybe not? Thats why i posted this for some help.
I saw a 1200 GPH pump for like $90.00 but with the 4 - 5 feet of return pipe, it will cut it down to like a 600 - 700 GPH pump.
 

·
joey'd is da man
Joined
·
14,077 Posts
bobme said:
Innes said:
I have no idea, but I don't think it is too important, don't worry about it.
How could it not be important? I am talkign about filters for my tank? if i would to put a 15 GPH filter for my tank. it wouldnt work to well.
but if you keep on top of water changes you will have no problems with filtration, you see in my opinion the key is not expensive filters, but regular water changes.
 

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
Joined
·
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Innes said:
bobme said:
Innes said:
I have no idea, but I don't think it is too important, don't worry about it.
How could it not be important? I am talkign about filters for my tank? if i would to put a 15 GPH filter for my tank. it wouldnt work to well.
but if you keep on top of water changes you will have no problems with filtration, you see in my opinion the key is not expensive filters, but regular water changes.
Well, as Sir Nathan XXI knows i am using his auto ater changer
 

·
joey'd is da man
Joined
·
14,077 Posts
bobme said:
Innes said:
bobme said:
Innes said:
I have no idea, but I don't think it is too important, don't worry about it.
How could it not be important? I am talkign about filters for my tank? if i would to put a 15 GPH filter for my tank. it wouldnt work to well.
but if you keep on top of water changes you will have no problems with filtration, you see in my opinion the key is not expensive filters, but regular water changes.
Well, as Sir Nathan XXI knows i am using his auto ater changer
his what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,133 Posts
you should really use two pumps incase one fails on you then you have a backup, with wet dry filters a lower rate between 5-7 is better, that way bacteria has sufficient chance to react with the water, any higher and it isnt as effecient and is overkill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
450 Posts
on my aqua clear 200 wet/dry I have 2 cap 2200 pumps and i dont remember for sure but I think they are 800 GPH each, this is on my 135 gal. and it works great

Will
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
My rule of thumb has always been 10 x the tanks gallons per hour.

I had a 180 that I flowed 1800 GPH thru the sump. I wanted more but the size of the bulkhead drain limited the flow. I had to use a pump rated for 2000 GPH to allow for friction and elevation loss.

My 46 bowfront has two emporer 400's (800 GPH) on it., and my 125 with 1 Rhom has 4 emporer 400's (1600 GPH).


I still do weekly water changes too, even though my water is always crystal clear.
 

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
Joined
·
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know all this, i am trying to figure out what i need though.
the hose will prb be like 6 - 7 feet long becuase of how big my tank is.
people telling me that have a 2000GPH on a 180 gal tank? so then wtf do i need 50,000gph? ummm?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,133 Posts
Head height is only vertical distance, not horizontal or total, gravity is what slows it down most so the further it has to push up the water the slower the end flow is. There is some friction in the tubing but its fairly negligable for our applications
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
Well, here is what I would do if it was my tank:

I would set up two 60 gallon sumps, complete with heaters, bio balls and a drip plate.
I would use two iwaki 2500 GPH external pumps (one for each sump). Japanese spec motors for longevity and quiet operation. I would have sperate drains and returns for each sump/pump. I would use some of the white flexible pvc for as much of the piping as possible.
Any tubing I would use would be black, so algae wont grow inside the tubes.
This should get you AROUND 4,000 GPH factoring in elevation loss.

HTH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,133 Posts
using 2 sumps is a bad idea, you will never be able to run them even and one will start sucking air while the other starts to overflow, trust me I know these sorta things, I have even tested the idea

running 2 pumps is a great idea incase one fails

Iwaki with Japanese motors are supposed to by top o the line

2 2500gph pumps would be similar to subject your aquarium to flood waters all the time, waaaayy tooo much for a 180g tank.

You want to end up with 1100-1600gph total after head height correction (its easy to find, measure the distance vertically only from the pump to the top of the tank, then go to the manfucaturers web site and they should have data for gph for each foot of head height)
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top