Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
486 Posts
my 3" convict has in the past day or so started to pick up rocks and make what looks like a nest in my tank... he has never had this behaviour before so im thinking he must be mating or something. what do you think the sex is on he/she? do males build the nest or females? i only have one convict so why is he/she doing this? any help id really appreciate. thanks!

· Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i actually just found out in the archives that i have a female convict based on the orange/gold color on her belly... anybody have any information about them building a nest? can i introduce a male and have them breed? would my p's react to this... or my convict react to my p's... they are very mellow and never bother the convict except swim away when the convict chases them every once in a while...

· reasonably awesome
7,332 Posts
adding a male will indeed cause them to breed, and they will prohibit the piranhas and anything else in the tank from entering somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 of the tank's section. Your piranhas will not be pleased.

· Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so she will become very aggressive once she lays the eggs?... or only if they get fertilized? could i remover her temporarily after she lays eggs and if so how long will it take to get the babies large enough to move to another tank?

· Registered
506 Posts
jonscilz said:
so she will become very aggressive once she lays the eggs?... or only if they get fertilized? could i remover her temporarily after she lays eggs and if so how long will it take to get the babies large enough to move to another tank?
[snapback]857555[/snapback]​
The pair will just be very agressive when they pair. They will most likely(dunno against p's tho) take over most or all of the tank. They kill anything that cant kill them that tries to fight back or get's caught. I think it would be ok as long as the P can fight for it's terriotory. Um...you can move the babies as soon as they're free swimming(which is like 3 day).

· reasonably awesome
7,332 Posts
they have unmatched teeth and jaws, but the pygocentrus species at the very least don't have a very high tendency to use them. in any case its risky to house any specie of piranha with other fish because all it takes is one good bite to seriously flaw or cripple a good fish

· Different Like A Platypus
715 Posts
how often will she go through this nest building phase and how quickly once i introduce a male would they breed? does it matter at which point in introduce the male?[/qoute]

Mine bred once a month....convicts are cave breeders so clay pots and rocks with holes work well...cons breed pretty easy just let em do their thing

· Registered
486 Posts
heres a pic of my tank... the con hangs out in the cave i made out of a cup a lot but the nest she is building is right between the right middle plant and the big thing in the middle. btw... she has been living with my p's for over 4 months now but i in no way expect her to last with them forever because i know one day one of my reds will have it with her bullying (which happens quite often although nothing compared to the first few weeks when she was new to the tank)...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.