Piranhas Forum banner

got 4 little babies

1K views 20 replies 3 participants last post by  Judazzz 
#1 ·
Just put 4 little 1" babies in the tank yesterday. They seem to be moving all around the tank, the tope of the tank and the bottom of the tank. I havent really seen them eat yet. I have some blood worms and brine shrimp, I tried feeding them brine yesterday and one of them bite some and then spit it out and kept doing it over and over. :veryangry:

So should I try and feed them like only 3 or 4 times a week or what? They also havent showed any signs of ggressiveness towards the each other or the guppy they have in there with them.

#2 ·
Daily. Juvis eat a fair amount I've observed. I had fed them 2-3 times a day, but soon enough you'll notice their feeding habbits and you can adjust the frequency/amount accordingly. They might not feel comfortable eating in front of you yet, this isn't unusual so don't get discouraged. Just give them a little food and 'hide' somewhere to watch.

As they get older you can feed less frequently, mature fish can be fed a couple times a week, but that's largely a personal preference. They go lengthy spells in the wild without food so a few days won't hurt them one bit. But don't do this with juvis, they grow fast and will need to be fed daily.

#3 ·
It usually takes some time before newly introduced fish start eating, wheter it's a piranha, a goldfish or whatever fish...

When I got mine (at about the same size), it took some 5 days before they were properly eating. I found out they really liked frozen mosquito larvae and your average fish flakes. After they reached about 2", they gradually demanded more meaty stuff, like red fish fillet, small feeders (neon tetras), small pieces of shrimp etc.

#7 ·
To me, raising them from scratch (well, almost...) is the real stuff: it really makes them your boys/kids/hooligans/... Buying beautiful, large fish is cool as well, but it's just not the same.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw some 0,5-1cm. redbellies at my lfs. I'd never seen reds that small before, and I must admit my fingers really started itching when I saw them swimming around in their tiny (10g?) tank that still looked huge
I resisted the temptation, but it was a close call...

#11 ·
True, but that's the very point were the boys get seperated from the men (well, the hobbyists from the fishaholics :D ).
But, after a couple of months you'd only have about 10 fat-ass p's left (the rest being snacked), and an empty house with no furniture or anything... :laugh:

G
#19 ·
when my rbp's were at around one inch i fed them guppies but since they where in with my larger rbp's there where already feeder goldfish in there and the lil one inchers would eat the small goldfish also... so i would say i had fed my two one inchers a half of a small goldfish a day.. i say half becuse they fight over it and they both end up getting only like half a goldfish each... it worked great...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.