Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into a lfs near my office this afternoon and was surprised by the number and different types of piranha they had.

1 Rhom - black body with red eyes, 6-8 inches for $130 (they've had this one for a while)

1 Rhom - silver body with red eyes, 6-8 inches for $130 (they've also had this one for a while)

1 Rhom - silver body, red eye (it is missing 1 eye), 6-8 inches for $50

1 Geryi - real light silver body with the stripe down the middle, 6-8 inches for $200

2 Pygos (I'm not sure what they are, they called them Black Gold Dust Piranhas) - their bodies were black with what looked like gold dust on the sides. They were $50 each. What are these?

Are any of these 'good' prices?

I was thinking about getting one of the rhoms, will the one with 1 eye be okay?

·
Registered
696 Posts
they are all high price, the geryi was about the best deal, i picked up my 7" rhom for 50 bucks. The feryi for that size id not to bad but you can still get them cheaper yet fom ron or george or what not. As for the golden dust, possibly red bellys or gold spilos it is hard to say without a pic due to the fact that any LFS will lable it whatever they think is fit. But I would put money it is a red belly, as my red bellys are always dark and have alot and i mean alot of gold in themThe one eye guy should be fine.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Lahot said:
they were definitely pygos, both looked like pissed off bulldogs, just not the coloring that I have ever seen in them before.
S. Spilopleura/Maculatus can look very pygo-like when they get bigger, with the same bulldog-like face - what size were they?
You could get a clue by looking at the fish's tail: if it has a white hyaline edge (ie. a white band or edge at the end of the tail fin), they're probably spilo's.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Judazzz said:
Lahot said:
they were definitely pygos, both looked like pissed off bulldogs, just not the coloring that I have ever seen in them before.
S. Spilopleura/Maculatus can look very pygo-like when they get bigger, with the same bulldog-like face - what size were they?
You could get a clue by looking at the fish's tail: if it has a white hyaline edge (ie. a white band or edge at the end of the tail fin), they're probably spilo's.
the tails looked all black, both tails looked a little beat up, they were probably 6 inches in total length.

The jaws seemed a bit receded from the front of the face unlike any rbps I have ever seen.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Lahot said:
I went into a lfs near my office this afternoon and was surprised by the number and different types of piranha they had.

1 Rhom - black body with red eyes, 6-8 inches for $130 (they've had this one for a while)

1 Rhom - silver body with red eyes, 6-8 inches for $130 (they've also had this one for a while)

1 Rhom - silver body, red eye (it is missing 1 eye), 6-8 inches for $50

1 Geryi - real light silver body with the stripe down the middle, 6-8 inches for $200

2 Pygos (I'm not sure what they are, they called them Black Gold Dust Piranhas) - their bodies were black with what looked like gold dust on the sides. They were $50 each. What are these?

Are any of these 'good' prices?

I was thinking about getting one of the rhoms, will the one with 1 eye be okay?
Yes, grab that geryi but, first ask them to go lower. All they can do is say no.

Could just be, and probably is mature nattereri. Possibly showing breeding color.

I would love to see pics of these. Where is this btw?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.