Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My spilo has a behavior very strange, it rises and goes down(falls) against the pane all the time, it me inquiete, I have the impression(printing) that it deprime because it is alone in a big tank (55 gallons). It(he) is tres small, the same not 6 cms. Furthermore he lived with 4 other spilo of his age before. Please, think you that if I add another spilo gold it is going to sort out things?
thanks,
memen

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Adding just one more will lead to disaster long term as 2 P's, espeacially 2 Serras/golds will make quick work of each other. You will eventually be left with only one. I would suggest, since they are still small (and cheap at that size) to pick up 2 more small ones. The tank might be a little cramped with they get bigger, BUT IF YOU REALLY WANT TO INCREASE THE NUMBERS YOU HAVE TO GET 2 MORE. For a total of 3. If you must, just stay at 3 or less in the 55.

~Dj

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why two isn't a good number ? you think 3 will run for a long moment in the 55 ?
i will try to negocy a goodprice for two other golds

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
When you have these type of fish there is always a dominant/alpha type fish of the tank. With only 2 fish, all aggression from the dominant one is directed only toward the other. Eventually that aggression can/will lead to death. When you have 3 fish, the argression is distributed to 2 fish, which sometimes will be enough to keep all 3 alive.

As for you tank, I dont think it is big enough to support 3 spilos indefinately. I think that 1 is better for that size tank at a good size (~6 inches).

~Dj

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and if i put a separation between the spilos, they can be in security without risk of damage.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
If you seperate them, then it should be okay.

~Dj

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
My big red did the same thing when he was young. He was the only one that did this when there were still other reds from my first batch with him (he was the biggest red in the tank, btw), but he continued doing so after he killed all his 'buddies' - sometimes for hours on end...

I'm not sure if he did this because he was lonely (I must add that the tank he was in, was a 15g, so a lot smaller than your 55). Eventually, he stopped doing it, though. It looked pretty neurotic to me, but I don't think it's that bad (considering the fact that he stopped doing it, without things changing in his tank): maybe it's just a form of exploring.
He looked really nice, had a healthy appetite and was very curious when he showed this behaviour, so for me that's another clue it's not as bad as it might seem.

I would wait with purchasing other spilo's: give him a few more weeks. If it continues, get some more (although I don't think that that would improve the situation: it might end this behaviour, but it will for sure cause other problems in that tank...)

Is he eating normally and looking healthy, btw?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts