Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be a good idea to have say 12 little goldfish swimming around happily in my tank with my single RBP?

I mean, he could pick off anyone of them when he felt hungry... eventually they would be all eaten, but would they stand the conditions?

better to get some tropical feeders adn keep them int he tank also?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok...

so, maybe get some teras in there to 'fill out' the space ?

not as feeders...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have left 10 in mine and they lasted awhile and made it easier for me as I didn't have to remember to feed them as I left for the day but the only problem is that they will sometimes eat only half of the fish and when you get home there is or 3 heads left on the bottom of the tank going bad and infecting the water, as long as you get to it soon enough.

·
4,053 Posts
You can use goldfish, but its advised not to.
Tetras would work, if you wanted to add a few small fish.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what about exodons?

or is this pushing the boat too much... they're more nibblers than jaws of pirnha, so only as safe as gputting more rbp's in there?

he's a lone dude, so i dont expect much aggression

·
Registered
365 Posts
I keep a school of Zebra Danio in my tank with my single Rhom. They only cost 99 cents each and my Rhom eats the whole fish so no worry about fish heads in the water. When I do have extra money I go for neons or mollies.

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
I try to keep a few tiger barbs swimming around with my reds. My sig is wrong though it is now 3 tiger barbs lol.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
11 tiny tetras int he tank swimming around the top space which is nice... we'll see for how long!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Fact: Cyprinids as a general species produce thiaminese, a growth inhibitor that effects bones and can have serious consequences for your fish.

While it is true you can supplement the lack of thiamin in the diet by feeding other foods or fishes (exclude goldfish, rosey reds, and other fishes that lack adipose fin within the cyprinid family), you also run the risk of introducing parasites and diseases. These cases of transfection are clearly seen in the disease/parasite forum here at PFURY when the fishes have mostly an exclusive goldfish diet. A captive environment means exactly that. You are the person responsible for a good nutricious diet. While it it also true that some people have "raised" piranas on goldfish alone to large sizes, that alone doesn't make much proof except the fish has been playing Russian Roulette and likely you will shorten the fishes lifespan. In nearly every case where a pirana has "mysteriously" died, the main food ingredient remains goldfish.
i would also...depending on the tank space ur lone pirahna is in ...get another 2 for him...at least he wont be lonely.
exodons are fine in ur tank...most of the time they r the ones trying to bully the pirahna's due to them being aggressive...i have one in with my 4 reds and he is still alive.and i HAD 5 black skirt tetra's...which went missing...so...its all about who u have them with, and the aggression of ur p...they all have different charactoristics and needs.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i have a 30g so no more piranhas as i wont be buying a bigger tank, instead i just keep adding fillers.. maybe something else while hes young and doesnt know what he is!

·
Registered
30 Posts
no way man... as long as its alone it won't eat a group of goldfish!

plus, your fish looks very small to eat feeders
looks like 2.5,3"
am i right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts