Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up myself 30 goldfish for $6 a couple days ago and put em' in the tank with my 5 piranha

the piranha are about 3" in size right now, had em' since they were probblay less than 1"

but anyways there is 18 goldfish left and there are heads laying on the bottom of my tank

hehehehehe

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
damn 30 for 6 bucks i got 2 doz for 2.30 and i ended up with 41 goldies
canada is expensive just make sure to get the heads out b4 the mess up your water params
fun though aint it
later

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
it aint that expensive just depends on where ya go, you can get 30 medium sized feeders for 3.50 at the LFS around me, i think thats a pretty decent deal.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
as already said....just be sure to scoop the uneaten part sof the dwad goldfish that are on the bottom of your tank...it'll ruin your water conditions

for future reference...u may want to set up a quarintine tank for the feeders that you are going to feed to your piranha or any other predatory fish that u may have.

the quarintine tank doesnt need to be anything fancy...just use a 10g tank (which u can buy for less than $10), stick a filter on there & personally I would put an air wand in the tank since the tank will more than likely be very overstocked with goldfish. goldfish are messy and seem to mess up water conditions very quickly...especially when dealing with a tank with that many goldfish in it. just do more frequent small water changes and everything should be just fine.

the 'quarintine tank' is used to make the feeders that you are feeding to your piranha healthy and disease free. buying them from your lfs, bringing them home & just tossing them in your tank is risky because u dont know what diseases/parasites you could be introducing to your tank & fish.

just something u might want to think about

·
Registered
77 Posts
my question is what is the difference between goldfish in an overstocked tank at home and an overstocked tank at the fish store??? Seems a little redundent to take them home from the fish store and then put them right back into the same conditions

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mack said:
Not really... that's what you do with feeders.
[snapback]864472[/snapback]​
but isn't qt supposed to see if they are healthy? because the LFS often overstocks and thats how they get disease ridden???

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yeah, but if one is sick, the others will get sick, overstocked or not. You're quarantining them purely to make sure they are safe for eating, not to protect them.

·
2012 Is the year the World ENDS!!!&#33
4,533 Posts
I get 8 goldies 3" for $1 :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts