Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i would like everybody's opinion about this one.. can i keep one gold spilo in with 6 rpb's? the gold spilo will be around 2 inches and the rbp's are 5-6... and i would also like to know if anyone has successfully did or is doing this right now.... thanks alot....

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Golds are little bad asses and would nip the hell out of the reds. If a red decided to fight back, with that size difference, the gold would end up a feeder. There would be a violent end one way or the other. The only serr I have heard of being successfully mixed with reds is a Medinei and I dont know how successful that was.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
reds are big sissys the spillo would rip them up but wouldnt
kill them

·
Registered
83 Posts
Calling them "sissies" is actually not true. It would be more accurate to call them skittish, as they will defend themselves and kill other fish. Spilos are notorious for picking at the scales and fins of other fish, it is likely they will harass the natts and stress them out a lot. There are a few outcomes, the spilos could harass the natts causing high stress which could lead to any number of problems (illness, death etc). The spilos could simply kill the natts. The natts could kill the spilos. Or they could kind of get along, but the latter is extremely unlikely. Since the spilo is significantly smaller than the natts I would bet against it's safety. The best thing to do is not mix them together. As a general rule Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus shouldn't be mixed, there are some exceptions (ie medinai) but if the question comes up it will almost always be "don't do it".

HTH

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Neoplasia Posted on Feb. 03 2003,18:07
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Calling them "sissies" is actually not true.
yes it is and alot of people will agree with me

·
Registered
83 Posts
Maybe, but it's still not true. Being sissies and skittish are two entirely different things. But you are free to believe what you wish, just trying to make sure he gets accurate information.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
explain the difference

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I dont think reds are sissies, maybe just the ones you have had. I had some bad ass reds until I bought into the cariba craze and traded them and then I had to add 2 wild reds to my tank to get my cariba to come out of their shell. I think it depends on the fish and not necessarily the breed.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
well all the reds i have had have all been skittish you tap on
the tank and they run and hide my cariba run to front trying
to takeyour hand off

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
ahel Posted on Feb. 03 2003,18:33
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ba20 reds are acctually considered one of the most aggressive pygos.
maybe in large packs lets compare them to cariba, ternetzi or piraya

·
Registered
83 Posts
I refer you to my skittish/sissy comment above. Anyways, I see where you want to take this and I'll leave it here. Hopefully he has a better understanding of this subject.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
you just know im right

skittish and sissy are "PRACTICALY" the same thing when it deals with piranhas

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
now im done with this topic

1 - 20 of 31 Posts