Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
you can keep any fish in any tank for life as long as it will fit in it. It may not be happy but you can.
BUT, the more fish and less tank means more higher maintanence. So a tank overstocked would need like a big water change everyday to keep them alive...etc...
... what are teh deminsions of the tank?

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
a 30 would be good for a baby spilo for close to two years most likely, he would be around 6-7 inches by then and could probably benefit from a 40 breeder.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
piranha 13 said:
well i can't upgrade no matter what. I'm not allowed to get anymore tanks until I get rid of one.
I think you are going to need two 55-gallon tanks pretty soon. I don't think a 37-gallon is going to cut it for your reds and once the spilo reaches 10 inches it will need more room that the 37 can provide. You upgrade and then sell the smaller tank. Not a big deal.
This is how I would go about an upgrade in your position. I would add another filter to my existing tank about 1 month before I plan to upgrade. buy the larger tank, take the substrate, filters and decor and move it to the larger tank (no need to recycle), then either sell the old tank or give it to a friend. A 30-gallon tank is not worth much anyways.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if i take all decor out then can i keep him in there for life? If i still can't give a tank away to get a 55 gal. then will he die or just not grow as large as possible?

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Removing all the tank decoration will not make the tank any larger: the little extra swimming space you will gain can be dismissed as unsignificant. A 10" fish needs more than a 12" wide tank to move around freely, and swim around savely, without the constant possibility of crashing into the tank wall when it gets scared or agitated.

Also, removing it will probably make your fish unhappy as well. I noticed that piranha's, no matter if they are skittish by character or not, are more at easy in a decorated tank, which the possibility to hide if they want to.

Ergo: don't buy fish you can't house properly!!!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Judazzz said:
Removing all the tank decoration will not make the tank any larger: the little extra swimming space you will gain can be dismissed as unsignificant. A 10" fish needs more than a 12" wide tank to move around freely, and swim around savely, without the constant possibility of crashing into the tank wall when it gets scared or agitated.

Also, removing it will probably make your fish unhappy as well. I noticed that piranha's, no matter if they are skittish by character or not, are more at easy in a decorated tank, which the possibility to hide if they want to.

Ergo: don't buy fish you can't house properly!!!

if you want to make the full use out of your tanks, then you shouold forget piranhas, your tanks are just too small.
my suggestions are either tatras and other tiny fish, or cichlids and catfish.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i have 4 gold spilos in a 75gal they are fine in there but i have also is 2 6in rohms in a 40gal it should be fine but when it gets bigger buy like a 55gal or somthing to keep it happie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts