Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
a gold may possibly be a spilo but a picture or at least a better description would help .
dixon

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
most likely Serrasalmus Spilopleura and just for your info.. there is a good chance that the gold is going to kill the other two Reds. They are very nippy at small sizes, when they are larger sometimes they can coexist like in my tank. I have pictures of both in the buy and sell forum.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
ye i forgot also if it is a spilo they dont mix with reds and the reds will get kicked asses

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are they really that mean all my piranha's are less than an inch will i have to take the spilo out and so does anyone know a differant pirha i can shoal with rbp's and where i can get one online thanx alot

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
RedDragonFish said:
are they really that mean all my piranha's are less than an inch will i have to take the spilo out and so does anyone know a differant pirha i can shoal with rbp's and where i can get one online thanx alot
Just remember the 2 well known classification you'll continually hear through out this board. "Pygos and Serras" The 2 can never be mixed. Its like EastCoast/WestCoast.. Red/Blue.. Carnivors/Vegetarians.. get the pix???

The best shoal for RBs are Caribas and/or Piraya. Check the Buy and Sell forum. Theres usually good bargins and deals. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I personally wouldn't risk losing reds or your gold by having them mixed. I agree that you should divide the tank or put them in separate tanks. I do also know that adult reds can sometimes coexist with a spilopleura that is smaller in size...I don't know about adult and adult though. This is occuring in my friends tank...the spilopleura is around 3-4 inches and his two reds are 7-9 inches. If you want proof I can have him post some pics of them together. The spilo nips the hell out of the reds fins though.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
spilos should not be mixed with any other fish - not even other spilos, although it has worked in a few cases, but usually it fails miserably

Oh, and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
RedDragonFish said:
no i meant take out the reds and just put some more golds in together like 1-3?
Some people have gotten Golds to successfully shoal but it is a hard and demanding process that usually ends in failure. InSinUAsian is currently trying to do it, you can PM him for details on his latest experiment.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Do not take that as standard behavior, but it is proof that anything is possible if you pay close attention to the Piranhas Temperment. I have still have not had the time to try yet, but i would love to pick up 10+ golds and put them in a 75. I would weed out the aggresors and hopefully come away with 3 less territorial Spilos who could cohabitat the tank. Anyone who shoals Serras would agree that they are very hard work.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Spilos are alot more aggressive then reds. Espeacially a school of them. I dont know much about keep them solitary though, I have a tank currently with 10 3"ers. All is well for now, but most have fin nips. I have taken fin nips as not really much anymore since it is so common. I just ry to look out for those few times when fish are waggling a nub because of a severe fin nip. Thats has happend a few times already in the 2 months that i have had them together. None since they have been in the 180 though, mostly when they were in a 65 holding tank. Check out my pics in my sig. Just today a little while ago I uploaded some new pics. I will post them in the pic forum in a few days.

~Dj

1 - 19 of 19 Posts