Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I called the owner of my LFS to ask what piranhas they can get besides the reds and blacks. I am looking to take out some reds and add some caribas, but I wouldn't be terribly against throwing in a piraya or two if I take out enough reds. Well the guys response was "I can get reds, blacks, and golds" I didn't want to sit there on the phone and go "Well now are those 'golds' the pygocentrius? Piraya?" just to have him not know what the heck I am talking about. But is it safe to assume that buy "gold" that (Piraya) is what he meant?

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
So I called the owner of my LFS to ask what piranhas they can get besides the reds and blacks. I am looking to take out some reds and add some caribas, but I wouldn't be terribly against throwing in a piraya or two if I take out enough reds. Well the guys response was "I can get reds, blacks, and golds" I didn't want to sit there on the phone and go "Well now are those 'golds' the pygocentrius? Piraya?" just to have him not know what the heck I am talking about. But is it safe to assume that buy "gold" that (Piraya) is what he meant?
Most likely he means spilopleura or maybe ternezeti. That's the problem with common names, they mean different things to different people.

·
Registered
551 Posts
im nopt sure if piraya are commonly known as gold, but serrasalmus spilopleura and maculatus are commonly known as gold piranha, and are not advised to be shoaled.

·
Frontosa King
9,990 Posts
IMO golds are most commonly meant to be macs. there is gold rhoms but VERY unlikely and also not liklely to be a true gold spilo either. my gues is he can get S. Maculutus

·
ooo barracuda
6,075 Posts
I am sure that he is talking about a Mac/Spilo.
i agree. Gold piranhas are often refered to as macs or spilos.

yes they are also used for piraya and ternetzi in some cases, but having your lfs have that come in when our sponsors cant, we cant be too optimistic.

But then again u never know.

Ask him to order one in and place it on hold right away, go down there and take a look at it (tke some pics too) and try determine what it is first

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.