Piranhas Forum banner
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
not sure. i may just grow them out for a month to a month and a half then sell. i'm going to FLA for vacation late feb, so i may just grow out what's left till then, put on some size, and get rid of them, then. the largest are easily over 1", closer to 1.5". i theorize if i can get them to at least 3", it will get much better because the fin nipping won't be fatal. this sucks. i was hooked up w/ a distributor, but i will probably cancel because he is unaware of how bad the fin nipping has become and i don't think it would be good practice to sell to him if they are just gonna keep doing this. i'll see, i am gonna talk to him on monday.

i honestly will probably stop any breeding of them when i get back from my little vacation.

since i have a bunch of fry tanks, i might move on to something else that i can make a little $$$, but much easier to care for. i know it won't be much w/ something that is easier to care for, more of a community fish, but oh well. i'm just so disheartened right now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
not sure. i may just grow them out for a month to a month and a half then sell. i'm going to FLA for vacation late feb, so i may just grow out what's left till then, put on some size, and get rid of them, then. the largest are easily over 1", closer to 1.5". i theorize if i can get them to at least 3", it will get much better because the fin nipping won't be fatal. this sucks. i was hooked up w/ a distributor, but i will probably cancel because he is unaware of how bad the fin nipping has become and i don't think it would be good practice to sell to him if they are just gonna keep doing this. i'll see, i am gonna talk to him on monday.

i honestly will probably stop any breeding of them when i get back from my little vacation.

since i have a bunch of fry tanks, i might move on to something else that i can make a little $$$, but much easier to care for. i know it won't be much w/ something that is easier to care for, more of a community fish, but oh well. i'm just so disheartened right now.
It's not that bad,LOOK you have a shoal of producing P's......From my under standing the type you chose to breed are of that nature (Nipping Fins)...The only way I would do it if I was in your shoes would be to put in some hiding places for the fry that are fin nipped to bad and need a place to hide,also for the ones that are doing the fin nipping I'll go get me a small Pacu and put in there with them....He'll be bigger than them so they will feel small and go into hiding and come out nip his fins and run back into hiding....Don't get me wrong I'm no fish expert,It's just after reading up on this post of yours I went and looked into the type of P's you are breeding and this is a way I think would work in my option....Hope it get better when you get back into town....LW.....!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
i actually do go ahead and a little while ago put a ton of floating plants in the tanks, what do i have to lose. but, it is likely to not make any difference or actually make things worse because they are oppostunistic fin nippers, esp. at this size and it may actually promote that behavior more...lying in wait for another fish.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i actually do go ahead and a little while ago put a ton of floating plants in the tanks, what do i have to lose. but, it is likely to not make any difference or actually make things worse because they are oppostunistic fin nippers, esp. at this size and it may actually promote that behavior more...lying in wait for another fish.
Oh, I almost forgot your goal is to start a shoaling family of Spilos
Way to Kool

·
Registered
398 Posts
Maybe time to take orders fromP-fury members and try to setup some kind of shipping deal??

I'm sure they would go quick here and free up some of your time and worries?

I think i mapquested your location and was around 7-8 hrs from me....16hrs a long drive ...

Maybe some NJ guys that live kind close to each other could get together on a group order and split the shipping costs? Just some ideas?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
i don't think you should stop i just think you need a better set up to do it. lots of smaller tanks so you can keep them in smaller groups. one batch of 200-500 fry split into 20 tanks would probably keep this down. i think the ideal way of going about all this is to build long narrow tanks. like beta barracks just longer. so you can divide them up solo or 2 or 3 per section. to be sold solo. to grow them out to 3 inches or so. i'd only do this with the stronger best of the fry. the others use the tanks to keep shoals. to be sold as shoaling.

or you could take a different approach to this idea and try larger tanks 75 gallons+.

·
Registered
12,780 Posts
wow, just wow. i woke up this morning to another 5 dead, and 3 missing one eye. the dead ones were eaten in half w/ only the upper portion of their body intact.

i have been feeding them 4-5 times a day. now i am resorting to keeping rosie red minnows in there.

i cannot tell you how disheartening it is to have them reach this size, care for them for 7 weeks, and have this happen.
time to get rid of some

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
i highly doubt i will keep rearing the fry. it is too time consuming w/ a "real job", and i have more productive things i should be doing w/ my free time, that i have stopped, w/ fry raising. it's a real pain in the a**, as well...that anyone who has raised fry can attest, and not nearly as lucrative as you might think. i also have been slipping on keeping up the parent tank, it's a pain to keep it clean when i have to clean fry tanks every day. if i wanted another paying job i would just do consulting in my field...I.T. the novelty and excitement wears off REALLY quickly once the reality sets in.

maybe the parents have noticed my ambivelence, but none are showing any signs of breeding, again...though it has been only 12 days since the last. one pair has mated once, another twice, and another, the most, 4x. kinda strange as ppl told me golds would just go at it again and again after doing it for the first time.

as far as getting rid of some, i don't have any problems w/ that and i am not shipping. i have a distributor that is willing to pick them up at my house, and i have about another 20 that should be going to members here, or an LFS. i also plan to keep some for myself to raise to almost the size of the parents, then i will toss them in w/ the parents.

quick update: there is not much i can do about the cannibalism, at this stage. i think its just gonna continue this way until they get to 3-4"+, which i heard, if done right, can be achieved in as little as around 4 months+. i've been feeding em a ton, yet still i find a few dead ones, eaten in half, once i go to re-feed them after a few hours. and there is another bunch w/ missing eyes, and another bunch w/ missing tails.

even rosies tossed in there doesn't help that much because they get their tail fins nipped off after only a little while in there.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
this is probably just about it for me on this thread. i have good news, that a breeder in michigan is probably going to buy the breeder parents. he's bred natts for several years so i would expect him to have many gold macs/spilos available in a few months. if he can get all 3 of my pairs spawning regularly, that would be incredible...he def. is one of the few that would put the work into it, long term. so, if he does indeed take them for sure and you want some, just be patient...

as for me, i think i will keep about 20 or so of the fry and grow em out to adults. having a massive shoal/cohab of golds at feeding time would be quite a site to see...

·
Registered
535 Posts
this is probably just about it for me on this thread. i have good news, that a breeder in michigan is probably going to buy the breeder parents. he's bred natts for several years so i would expect him to have many gold macs/spilos available in a few months. if he can get all 3 of my pairs spawning regularly, that would be incredible...he def. is one of the few that would put the work into it, long term. so, if he does indeed take them for sure and you want some, just be patient...

as for me, i think i will keep about 20 or so of the fry and grow em out to adults. having a massive shoal/cohab of golds at feeding time would be quite a site to see...
Yeah, that would be a very impressive site to see. Just like on Planet Earth on animal planet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Primetime, I just want to say thanks for posting all you did about your experience. It was informative, and it takes time to post and keep up with the tanks. Sorry to hear about the fin/eye nipping, but we all knew that it was going to happen eventually. Honestly, I expected it much sooner. Sorry to hear you are selling the breeders, hope they are going to a good home. Raising any fish for profit on a contiual basis can have its pitfalls, with P's the pitfalls swim and have teeth!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
sure thing. i enjoyed informing you guys of what was going on.

it wasn't the cannibalism, but more the daily grind of baby brine shrimp, multiple feedings, and water changes which quickly became a pain in the butt. the cannibalism certainly didn't help. it was shocking seeing them do so well for 5-6 weeks, then quickly turning on each other and tearing each other up. seemed like a waste to see it happen.

haha, yeah, those chompers are what really make a piranha, a piranha :/ next time i will breed rabbits

101 - 119 of 119 Posts