Piranhas Forum banner
81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
you gotta be kidding me, listen to this....

i moved almost all decor out of the tank, last night, to remove territories, and i turned the temp down to 76. well, lol, it made my 2nd pair breed for the 2nd time! lolol, there are eggs in the wide open on the right side of my 125g. omg, lolol, i was trying to prevent them from going at it, not encourage it! it's only like 2 days after my first pair went at it for the 3rd time!

unbelievable. now i have 2 pairs that have bred at least twice, and a third only once. my ph is 7.6 and water again is 76 degrees. well, all i can say is these fish will breed like rbp once they feel comfortable. i did a huge water change and vac, so that may have helped stimulate them.

my largest fry tank is starting to look really cool. they are really active now and all look like tiny little serras. look for some pics and a feeding vid in the next few days.

·
Wavy
25,469 Posts
thats awesome man im contemplating buying some of these guys off george too. And if you get sick of caring for eggs...just leave em with the parents

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
thats awesome man im contemplating buying some of these guys off george too. And if you get sick of caring for eggs...just leave em with the parents
thanks. these ones i may just suck a good amount out and use a 10gal i have until i figure out what to do. not gonna try and get every egg possible, that is, vac 3-5 times, just once or twice. there are a few swimmers in the parent tank, near the bottom. i figure, like this latest round, what doesn't end up in my filters, dead, will be picked off more quickly by my raphael catfish. as soon as the lights are out he's roaming the tank all night.

it's funny because the parent tank is so wide open now and they spawned in the wide open. so, i doubt territories matter much until after they breed and protect the eggs. i also hinted @ 76 degree water and a 7.6 ph...so with patience i would say other potential breeders have a good shot of getting macs to breed, just water quality and a big enough tank. i think a large tank helps only to make them feel more comfortable. they seem less skittish in my 125g compared to the two 75g tanks i had them in for 7 months.

if anyone has some ideas as far as saving $$$ on feedings, please share. my largest tank is getting expensive to feed the fry, since they take regular amounts of frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms and mysis shrimp. i've heard some success w/ crushed pellets, so if anyone has more info on that or another alternative, please let me know.

·
7,344 Posts
thanks. these ones i may just suck a good amount out and use a 10gal i have until i figure out what to do. not gonna try and get every egg possible, that is, vac 3-5 times, just once or twice. there are a few swimmers in the parent tank, near the bottom. i figure, like this latest round, what doesn't end up in my filters, dead, will be picked off more quickly by my raphael catfish. as soon as the lights are out he's roaming the tank all night.

it's funny because the parent tank is so wide open now and they spawned in the wide open. so, i doubt territories matter much until after they breed and protect the eggs. i also hinted @ 76 degree water and a 7.6 ph...so with patience i would say other potential breeders have a good shot of getting macs to breed, just water quality and a big enough tank. i think a large tank helps only to make them feel more comfortable. they seem less skittish in my 125g compared to the two 75g tanks i had them in for 7 months.

if anyone has some ideas as far as saving $$$ on feedings, please share. my largest tank is getting expensive to feed the fry, since they take regular amounts of frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms and mysis shrimp. i've heard some success w/ crushed pellets, so if anyone has more info on that or another alternative, please let me know.
[/quote]

Hey man, first off i want to say congrats on what you are doing... secondly i think i may have some ideas on how to save you some money... google "Hatch'n Feed" brine shrimp hatchery and check it out... brine shrimp eggs cost next to nothing, and you can buy them in bulk on ebay if you check around... you may still have to suppliment some feedings, and anticipate the 24 hour hatching period, and approx 30 hour delay before the hatched shrimp swim into the tank.... but it helped me raising cichlids a few years ago! The hatchery costs like 30$ or something, but could easily pay itself off within a week with what you got going... Once you get the amount of eggs dialed in, you can add them every day and a half and keep the flow going, increase the eggs as they get larger and onto solids or pellets (had great luck with flakes also! you can get huge things of flakes and suppliment them with crushed hikari gold or something with good nutritional value)

Also, you can look into just making some DIY 2 liter hatcherys to have available when you need to feed on demand (they live for almost a year or something if they have food)... costs nothing for the bottles if you drink pop (soda for you east coasters) and have a few spare air pumps...

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
thanks, that's some good info, i appreciate it and will look into it. i did see a post in this forum about the "hatch'n'feed". it looks promising. i am gonna look into finding an online store that sell black worm cultures, as well.

the positive comments are always welcomed and appreciated, as well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The hatch and feeds are good for cichlids, as most of them have large fry and they tend to saty together on the bottom, but P fry are small and float around chasing their food. I found the P fry could fit through the small holes and would chase the brine shrimp into the hatcher. They would die when they came in contact with the salt water... or a few would hang out inside the mouth of the hatcher eating all the shrimp before the other fry could get to them.
Best was to use the large pop bottles ( had 3 going ) and get your brine shrimp in bulk, I fed 3 times a day till they would take the salmon starter. Then just use an auto feeder...

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
only major change is i lost about 1/2 of my 30g
i maybe should have used water from the parent tank, only, but i used some fresh and many died overnight
possibly a small change in ph or even little chlorine. i'm not 100% sure why, i am gonna check parameters, but this sucks
i thought they would be fine, but it was the first major water change in weeks for them so i used some regular water.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
i'll have to get a vid of my oldest fry, in the 40g long, all about 1" now. they are really starting to look sweet and like a little serra. more elongated than rbp fry. i have never fed them live (other than brine shrimp), so maybe i can make a sweet feeding vid w/ some small feeder guppies. we'll see...

Now i have lost all but a small handful in my 30g
. that's like 500 fry down the tubes. All i did was take one of the sponge filters out to use on my 10g batch, and did about a 20% water change, the first major one on the tank, and they were almost all dead w/in 48 hours. somehow the tank chemistry got screwed up from just a small change. I thought they would be fine as the sponge filter i left in there was rated for like a 80g tank. i used just a little tap water, as well, mostly parent tank water, so, well, this sucks. i am glad though i siphoned out my most recent spawn, and put them in a 10g. they are fine and i will eventually move them to the 30g that is now open. it was a good sized spawn, several hundred.

other than that, i have about 200 other ones a few weeks old in my 40g breeder now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i'll have to get a vid of my oldest fry, in the 40g long, all about 1" now. they are really starting to look sweet and like a little serra. more elongated than rbp fry. i have never fed them live (other than brine shrimp), so maybe i can make a sweet feeding vid w/ some small feeder guppies. we'll see...

Now i have lost all but a small handful in my 30g
. that's like 500 fry down the tubes. All i did was take one of the sponge filters out to use on my 10g batch, and did about a 20% water change, the first major one on the tank, and they were almost all dead w/in 48 hours. somehow the tank chemistry got screwed up from just a small change. I thought they would be fine as the sponge filter i left in there was rated for like a 80g tank. i used just a little tap water, as well, mostly parent tank water, so, well, this sucks. i am glad though i siphoned out my most recent spawn, and put them in a 10g. they are fine and i will eventually move them to the 30g that is now open. it was a good sized spawn, several hundred.

other than that, i have about 200 other ones a few weeks old in my 40g breeder now.
this is no joke mate id freeze the eggs from any recent spawnings you dont want as
they are the best feed you can get for baby p's when they are over an inch!!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
if anyone misses it, today, i posted a vid and pics in the main picture forum of my first two batches.

·
Registered
239 Posts
As for keep the cost low, crushed pellet seems to work good for me, I see this idea on a french forum , I have mix some dry food (pellet, flake...) seems to work ,we only feed this food and some drops of liquid fry food( become like jello in contact of the water)

We don't find brine shrimp here...

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
ugh, cannibalism is getting worrysome...i have lost about a dozen the past few days. i've been feeding them alot, 4-5 times a day. i might have to toss some feeders in there. i may ask around, but i think a guy that raised em before kept a black worm culture in his tank, so i may look into that, and if anyone else has some ideas, i'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can tell by the sad face it's looking bad on the culling of the shoals....The only thing I can come up with is splitting them up in more tanks (by size)...I know a 10 gallon is about $10.00....Anyway,hope it gets better for you,realy looking for you to do good with this project
....LW....!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
wow, just wow. i woke up this morning to another 5 dead, and 3 missing one eye. the dead ones were eaten in half w/ only the upper portion of their body intact.

i have been feeding them 4-5 times a day. now i am resorting to keeping rosie red minnows in there.

i cannot tell you how disheartening it is to have them reach this size, care for them for 7 weeks, and have this happen.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts