Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
here are my fry tanks for my 3 batches of s. maculatus. the first batch is in a 40g breeder, while the 2nd and 3rd are in a 40g long. they are all a little less than 2 weeks old, the first batch (eggs layed) 11/14, 2nd were layed 11/16, 3rd 11/18 (strangely all 2 days apart).

i estimate i have 200+ left in the first batch, while in the 2nd tank, between the 2nd and 3rd batches, 500-600+. i have lost hardly any from the 2nd and 3rd batches (40g long). while i would say i lost 1/3 from the first batch. either the methylene blue helped the fry in the 2nd tank, as it was put in late on the first, or i think more likely i should have used bleach on the first tank, as it sat in my garage for over a month. another breeder claims that bleaching old tanks prior to use had increased his number of survivors dramatically. there is also the possibility the first tank was not fully cycled, as it was surprised by all of this, all my pairs breeding so quickly after raising the temp, i did not have a lot of time to put up the tanks.

i think round 2 may start tomorrow for at least one pair. after 12 days of nothing happening, little action in the 125g parent tank, two of the males darkened up and were chasing some of the others (females) around. we'll see.... may be time to hit craigslist for more fry tanks
...and hopefully a little "thanksgiving action".

the first 6 pics are the 40g breeder (first batch). while the last 7 are my 40g long (2nd and 3rd batches).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
i was looking at some threads of rbp fry. these guys laid no where near as many eggs. i estimate only about 300 or so per pair, compared to the thousands i've seen from reds/natts. i'm kinda thankful for that, keeps the upkeep easier, especially just starting out. i do expect the # to increase as they get good at mating (practice makes perfect)...which is fine and i look forward to.

they look very much like red fry at this stage, but i expect that to change over the next week or two, obviously.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow!!! All have there little tails ...lol

amazing.....Keep up the good work!!!
thanks, should be really a site to see when they develop their fins and start a feeding frenzy on regular, frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms
i think the first batch will be like that in a week or so.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Looks good. Keep us updated on how they are growing. I think its cool to see pics of how they develop from fry to Juvie.

·
Registered
479 Posts
what if you find a divider with tinny holes in it and then put it up in one side of the fry tank and put the fry and the filters on different side to prevent suction and death would that work?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what if you find a divider with tinny holes in it and then put it up in one side of the fry tank and put the fry and the filters on different side to prevent suction and death would that work?
yea that or something similiar is an option as they get bigger. right now they don't produce much waste, so the sponge filters, including the one w/ carbon, work fine.

...on another note, round 2 has begun for the first pair, looks like more eggs w/in a few hours, they are still going at it
looks like another small tank is in order

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, i didn't think the first pair was done already, their second time around. must have gotten done earlier as i was gone all day. upon closer examination...

here's a nice short and sweet vid of the parents around the eggs:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys. i'm in the process of moving the latest batch to a 30g i just picked up. my biggest problem right now is overfeeding them. i'm getting slowly better at it. i doubt they can cannibalize now anyway. i want to keep those bellies full, but i spend more time siphoning out extra bbs than i do even waste

still very few losses since i lost a bunch of the very first batch right away. still estimating 150-200 from the first tank/batch, and hopefully 500+ on the 2nd tank. i think the first batch should start to look like an actual piranha/fish by the end of the week, so def. more pics then, if not a little sooner.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
good news. i think there is more like 200-250 left from the first batch, and at least double that in the other tank (2nd and 3rd)
i will get real good estimates once they start moving around more and a little bigger. they do grow fast, esp. when i siphoned out the latest eggs and compared the size to the ones 2+ weeks old now.

i just transferred batch #2 from the first pair, to a 30g and there is def. more eggs this time around

other than that, i removed one of the ones that was NOT breeding, because he was becoming very territorial and decided he wanted the entire left 1/2 of my 125g to himself. now he's gone the others have spread out a little more, but i am probably gonna remove another one that has a bad eye. will keep the cramping down on the parent tank as they are getting larger, all at least 6" now. it will help with the bioload as well as these guys pig out. also, i think the one that was real territorial took a small bite out of breeding male #3...a small but more serious bite to the body. he's doing fine, it seems, but he also is missing most of his lower lip from when he was breeding with female #3. i may even put him in a hospital tank, but he's been this way for several days and seems fine. the rate at which these guys regenerate flesh, he should be almost back to normal in w/in a week. all in all the parents are getting along/cohabing very well now, esp. since i took out the trouble maker. actually all were getting along great for the 8 or so months that i had little decor in. i added some because they all were more aggressive w/ the breeding. they all seem to have their territories now, whereas before they would swim around all day.

it's fairly easy to see whom the males and females are, to a large degree. the males have their territories at the bottom of the tank, and the females tend to hang out around the floating plants on the top.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Any updates? New Pics?
they are all doing ok. i just got done vacuuming and water changes all three tans, now. i almost forgot how tiny they start out, as the 3rd tank they are only a week old, much smaller than the first two tanks. unfortunately, more deaths than usually the past day or so in the older two tanks. i suspect maybe a little elevated nitrate levels in the older tanks, possibly from uneaten food. i was overfeeding since the start and am doing water changes and cutting down on the feeding. we'll see, i will confirm if that is the case, tomorrow, as well as some updated pics sometime over the weekend. the latest tank is doing very well, it is the 2nd batch from my first pair. i suspect more eggs this time around from them, as their are a ton of the little guys.

the parent tank are all doing well, much less fighting since i got rid of the trouble maker and another one, for more room, so they fight less and stay in their respective territories. strangly though, only the first pair has gone at it again. perhaps its the tank temp of 80, instead of 84 or so it was at when they all went nuts. that's fine for now because i really don't have the room for another round. obviously though i want them all to go at in again, down the road. a temperature bump may be all that is needed, we'll see, i have no plans for that now. my parameters on the parent tank are fine, except for a little nitrates, like less than 5ppm. i'm gonna do a fairly large vacuum and water changes on the parent tank tomorrow. they do get a lot of fresh water over the course of a week because i use water from the parent tank to treat the fry tanks.

i should note, my ph is on the high side for my tanks and tap water, like 7.4-7.6, so i don't think it is much of a concern with getting this species to breed...like rbp.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts