Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess what? My damn heater broke sometime last noght so I wake up and I check the fish amd there not moving. The temp of the 100g tank is at 71 degrees! My wife went to work so now I can't get a new one till around 6:30pm eastern time. I was able to boil around 7 gallons since I'm working with two gallon pots. All my fish used to a nice 83 degrees. They must be hating life right now.

Yes the are from the amazom.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Damn, that's pretty nasty

Piranha's have loved through tougher ordeals, though - as long as you raise the temperature gradually(!), he should be fine. Resist the urge to bring back the temperature as quickly as possible - a sudden large change in temperature is much more harmful than a low temperature, and can easily kill a fish, even a perfectly healthy specimen.

Good luck!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks for the reply's guy. I brought the temp up tp 74 degrees. Took two hours to do so. By the time I get the new heater it should hopefully get up to 78 degrees and I'll let the heater do its trick.

Should I get a heater stronger than 200w? Some one said that a 200w is good enough on this website.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I would suggest getting 2 100w heaters, for one if one should break the other one will be able to heat the take for a short period of time. The second being if you have two heaters the heat can be evenly displaced in the tank. The third being you will prolong the life of the heater because it will have to work half as much.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Piranha Guy.

I forgot to mention something. This may sound funny but whne I was feeding my little kids,one of them took a spoonfull of cooked rice and put it in my tank. This is when I was in the bathroom and the tank lid was off because of me boiling water. I got the rice out asap but now I have a oily slick on the surface of the water. I pulled one of my pumps from my other tank, washed it out perfect then put it in my 100g. The rice had butter in it. Should I be worried about it? I wouldn't thinks so because of how messy p's are when they eat.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I dont think youshould have anything to worry about nothing toxic in there so it will work its way out.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I'd try to remove the oil slick by skimming sheets of toilet paper across the surface.
Although most likely not dangerous itself, an oil slick can negatively affect the surface gas exchange (oxygenation).

As far as heaters go, I prefer two smaller ones instead of a larger one as well - for safety reasons, obviously.
200W of heating is enough for a tank up to approx. 50 gallons (200 liter).

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
What do you mean by overheatting itself? Honestly, you had nothing to really worry about in temps of 77 degree. 81 to 77 isn't a problem with fluxuation in temp. For future instances, you can always fill an empty 2 liter bottle with warm/hot water and place in the tank.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
One night my brothers friend turned off the switch to my tank, which had the heaters on the strip. My temp sunk to 71 for the entire night but my fish were fine, only a little less active while it was cold.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts