Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay heres the thing

I bought a brand new 90 gallon Miracle aquarium from Big Als 1 week ago. The glass were it meets up has a small grove cut out where the two pieces meet on all the edges. In other words its not flush together to form perfect corners. Let me know if this is normal or not please.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i've seen those in a lot of tanks. thats the second thing i check for, the first being the tank size. if you cant find a perfect one get the one with the least uneven corners and the least rise.

for small tanks it'll be fine, but it would worry me if it was larger because of possible strength issues. actually it would probably be a problem if it was noticebly uneven like 2in off of the corner.

thats why its suggested to do a test fill of the tank, but thats for smaller tanks. doing a test fill for a 200g tank would suck, alot.

*after re-reading your post, you say theres a groove. does that mean the glass dont touch? and theres space in between? or is the tank corners just offset by a few millimeters?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the glass touches very well.....its a bit off by a few mm yes. But thats not the thing. Its more the fact that the glass would have a perfect line up with the two pieces together if they didnt cut a little grove out of the piece of glass to make the grove.....thats what I dont understand. let me know.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the tank is already filled and been running for 5 days. No problems. No leaks. I am only concerned cause I dont want to have a leaky tank when I can just get it taken care of by putting my mind at ease.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My 420 gallon tank has a 1/16" (or so) round over on each outer edge, so, while the glass lines up perfect, the seam is recessed about 1/16". I think is if fine, and may be the same on your tank. The thing to worry about is if this recess you talk about is not uniform. Then you have poor workmanship. It would be great if you could post a pic, we may all be talking out of our collective asses.....the pic would help us comment better.

RL

·
Dodge City
10,070 Posts
Shred Revolution said:
the glass touches very well.....its a bit off by a few mm yes. But thats not the thing. Its more the fact that the glass would have a perfect line up with the two pieces together if they didnt cut a little grove out of the piece of glass to make the grove.....thats what I dont understand. let me know.
Do you mean the edges of the glass are beveled?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ralphinnj said:
My 420 gallon tank has a 1/16" (or so) round over on each outer edge, so, while the glass lines up perfect, the seam is recessed about 1/16". I think is if fine, and may be the same on your tank. The thing to worry about is if this recess you talk about is not uniform. Then you have poor workmanship. It would be great if you could post a pic, we may all be talking out of our collective asses.....the pic would help us comment better.

RL
same deal on my tank. I called the store and all the other 90 gallon tanks are designed and cut the same way. Its not a defect its they way they are suppose to be. thanks for the replies. I am on my way right now to pick up a 4 inch Wild Red belly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts