Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so ive noticed today one of my red bellies has his gills kinda pushed out looks sorta like my jack dempsey when hes angrily attacking something but its stayin this way for a good half hour that ive been watchin him. Could this be a parasite, disease, or just water problems? Ive never really seen this so im not sure what to think. any information will be greatly appreciated. The insides of the gills are hangin out a little bit ( the somewhat clear parts you can see when they flush water through to keep water movin past the gills) anyways Im worried about him and am goin to do a small water change because I have a little ammonia showing on a strip. If its something worse please help in informing me on my next steps.
by the way ph nitrite nitrate all tests ok as of now

·
Registered
218 Posts
if you're showing ammonia , i'd do a BIG water change and keep an eye on it. Ammonia Burns the Gills, so the only safe level of ammonia is 0, nada, zip, none. do like a 50% and make sure you use a good dechlorinator if you have municipal water. some thing that will neutralize chlorine and Chloramine ( a bonded form of chlorine and ammoniia) Tetra aquasafe is pretty good it does all that and detoxifies heavy metals.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i did a 30 gallon water change out of the 75. weird thing is, the strips still show just about the same color. never actually turn yellow its always a weird greyish green but not a darker green that is supposed to be ammonia in the water. the gills are now back to normal with the exception of that really thin inner layer still stickin out a little bit but he seems to be comfortable and came up and ate some pieces of tilapia with no problems. we'll see how this pans out and Im going to invest in a better test than these cheapo mardel strips that never seem to have the same color as the "guide" on the side of the bottle. Any suggestions on what type of tests you guys use?
thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts