Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this a few times, but still haven't solved the problem. Initially 2, now all 4 of my RBP's have mild to excessive gill curl (only on the left side), tail curl (on two, back fin curls at top and bottom) and they are flashing quite a bit. It is NOT water parameters (see below) and I don't think it could be my tank size (see below). Also, a pic of the gill curl (it's an old pic). Any help would be appreciated.

Also, how do you sedate a piranha? I heard clove oil, but what dosage. Iwould like to try and cut off some of the curl.

Tank: 55 Gallon Long w AquaClear Powerhead
Contents: 4 x 3.5" RBP's, 2 live brazilian sword plants, 2 chineese algae eaters
Params:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite= 0
Nitrate = 20-50
Ph = 7.4

Water Change Schedule: 60% once per week
Feeding: Pollock, Shirmp, Squid, Scallops, Colour Pellets

Thanks,
Dan

* one of the p's had gill gurl since it was an inch (from store), the rest did not.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
It would be worth a try to treat with Prazi.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
you have 6 fish in a 55 gal and you're using one HOB biowheel filter.

I know the package says suitable for a 75 gal, but P's generate a lot of waste. I think you need to bump up filtration asap. Then i think you need to remove that activated carbon because that does nothing for an established tank. Once that carbon is removed you can treat with salt and maybe some prazi and turn the heat up slightly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
you have 6 fish in a 55 gal and you're using one HOB biowheel filter.

I know the package says suitable for a 75 gal, but P's generate a lot of waste. I think you need to bump up filtration asap. Then i think you need to remove that activated carbon because that does nothing for an established tank. Once that carbon is removed you can treat with salt and maybe some prazi and turn the heat up slightly.
There are only 4 RBP's in the tank. The two chinese algae eaters are tiny.

Temp. is 82

med's are suggested....what meds?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Prazipro....salt....

and remove the actived carbon from your filter or it will remove the meds from your water column.

Even if the fish are "tiny" you still have insufficient filtration for that tank. Rule of thumb is 10 x filtration or around that.....and having more is never a bad thing. You have a solitary hong on back filter that is rated up to *70 gal's filtering 330 gph. Thats only 6 times filtration...which might be a contibuting factor to your P's illneses.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Prazipro....salt....

and remove the actived carbon from your filter or it will remove the meds from your water column.

Even if the fish are "tiny" you still have insufficient filtration for that tank. Rule of thumb is 10 x filtration or around that.....and having more is never a bad thing. You have a solitary hong on back filter that is rated up to *70 gal's filtering 330 gph. Thats only 6 times filtration...which might be a contibuting factor to your P's illneses.
How is that the case though when all my levels are stable?

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
The prazi was suggested because it is a good possibility you have a case of gill flukes on your hands. Since it is fairly safe to use, otherwise who knows what the conditions that fish have endured since you've had it. In fact it may already be to late to help those gills. But as mentioned, prazi is worth a try.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The prazi was suggested because it is a good possibility you have a case of gill flukes on your hands. Since it is fairly safe to use, otherwise who knows what the conditions that fish have endured since you've had it. In fact it may already be to late to help those gills. But as mentioned, prazi is worth a try.
thanks, I'll try that.

thanks to all others that made suggestions as well.

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts