Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey guys. I was thinking of adding a bunch of ghost shrimps in my 100 gal. P' tank to help clean up the left overs. The shrimps are about half an inch. Do you think they would get eaten or is their size too small for the P's to even bother with them. The size of my P's are in my signature.

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
pleco but i hate them theyre ugly crayfish is about it well damnit anything u out in there will eventually get eaten so it really doesnt matter maybe convicts they worked with my p's the longest

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Death in # said:
crayfish are cheap and they do a good job

and evently they become food so it works out for u and the fish

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Only as feeders
!...if you have driftwood or any other hidding places they should survive for a while but will get eaten... i have 3 survivors in my Cariba Tank living inside my driftwood...i know they will die sooner or later!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Ghost shrimp are some of the best hiders there are.

Some will last a while, but they will all eventually get eaten. It's a good food source tho and they are really cool to watch.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
scarfish said:
I have heard of people having success with raphael catfish.
Yup, raphael cats are a good alternative to pleco's... I have four spotted and one striped raphael with my reds, and they're doing great (some are in there for about 8 months). All they need is a place to hide, since they are mostly nocturnal, but they're great cleaner fish, and cheap as well

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think both ghost shrimp or crayfish is a good idea to add into a Ps tank. As many have said, they are cleaners while they are alive, and eventually become food source.....

I have few ghost shrimp added to my tank and they last quite a while........ I kept on feeding the Ps, and they hardly bother the ghost shrimps since they are full.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I put ghost shrimp in with my baby Ps and they lasted a long time. The sad part is they out lasted my Ps
. But they are good for 2 things : keep the tank clean and when time comes they are food. So that is like a double whammy tihng.

·
Registered
219 Posts
my pleco got eaten adfter a couple weeks with my reds, but ive had a crayfish for a long time and he cleans up all the crap that my reds ignore after they eat. But i put him in when he was a lot bigger than my reds, now hes about the same size, maybe a bit smaller, and they havent bothered him too much.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have a ton of ghost shrimps in my tank. I started it with a dozen of them and they bred. Now i have about 30-40 of them. But then again, my tank is really really well planted with tons of driftwood. My spilo is about 5 inches and used to eat them back when he was smaller. Now he just ignores them and they're breeding. Once in a while I would see a tiny baby float around the tank. They hide really well cause I would only find like 5-6 when looking in da tank but when I do a water change and move stuff around, I'll see a ton of them come out. How big of a tank are you putting them in and is it well planted? Also, how big is your p? I loaded my tank with plants and java moss which is growing like crazy.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
here's a link to the pix of my tank. http://community.webshots.com/album/80244912qGijnp All the pix are somewhat sequenced and are taken within a month time frame. The java moss grew super fast and are now covering almost the entire top of my tank. In the last pix you can kinda see a top view of it. Its goes under on the right side of the tank. The clump is over 2 ft long and the tank is a 3 ft tank. You can see 1 of the ghost shrimps in da tank. They're invisible unless you really look for em. My friends are always suprised when I told them there's about 30-40 shrimps in the tank cause they cant even find a single one

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.