Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thats outa my tap too, I have city well water, city's got a big well i guess?? anyway I have a ph of around 8.4-9 even with frequent water changes. I just added some lfs driftwood about 3 days ago, I have 2 emp- 400's so adding peat might be hard to do. What are some of your suggestions to either lower KH or should I just leave it 8.4-9ph and not even try to mess with it. oh yah my tap is like 7.6

thanks
Ray

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
I would bypass your water softener if you have one and invest in an RO Unit. Another option is to go with fish that like a high pH such as some cichlids enjoy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would bypass your water softener if you have one and invest in an RO Unit. Another option is to go with fish that like a high pH such as some cichlids enjoy.
yes I have a softner, an RO unit is a idea that I could do......how about some stuff from a pool store to lower or maintain a lower ph. My P's seem to be ok I just thought it would be better with a lower ph ya know

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use Sodium Biphosphate and it seems to do a pretty good job as i have a high ph also and i like to keep everything as natural as possible. You may already have tried this i don't know its just what i use during water changes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Sodium Biphosphate and it seems to do a pretty good job as i have a high ph also and i like to keep everything as natural as possible. You may already have tried this i don't know its just what i use during water changes.
sounds like an idea, where did you get it? how much do you add per 10gal?

thanks
Ray

·
Registered
139 Posts
I got it from my local pet store for an 185g cylinder i paid 5 bucks you may get a better deal but I have been using it on my tanks for about two months now and i still have a decent amount left i guess it just depends on how far you want you ph to drop. Since your p's are already in the water and are probably use to it I would go about it very slow cuz i see your dropping more than 1 whole point to reach neutral even and i like to keep my ph at about 6.0 as best as i can. You seem like a smart person so you probably know how the ph scale is calculated and why you should go as slow as possible it will take awhile to reach you desired ph.

To achieve 6.0 or something close you will be exposing your fish to water that is over 100 times more acidic than what they are in now so the reason for the slow release is so they can have as little ph shock as possible and you won't have to worry about losing anything. No good will come of going faster.

For your other question the label says to add a quarter of a level teaspoon for every 10 gallons or 1.7g\37.8litres
-I just make sure all the water i put in matches the water thats in there now and its all good.

You may be able to find a better price on it somewhere else i just haven't looked elsewhere for it. Oh yeah and its made by Wardley

Hope this answers some of your ?'s

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got it from my local pet store for an 185g cylinder i paid 5 bucks you may get a better deal but I have been using it on my tanks for about two months now and i still have a decent amount left i guess it just depends on how far you want you ph to drop. Since your p's are already in the water and are probably use to it I would go about it very slow cuz i see your dropping more than 1 whole point to reach neutral even and i like to keep my ph at about 6.0 as best as i can. You seem like a smart person so you probably know how the ph scale is calculated and why you should go as slow as possible it will take awhile to reach you desired ph.

To achieve 6.0 or something close you will be exposing your fish to water that is over 100 times more acidic than what they are in now so the reason for the slow release is so they can have as little ph shock as possible and you won't have to worry about losing anything. No good will come of going faster.

For your other question the label says to add a quarter of a level teaspoon for every 10 gallons or 1.7g\37.8litres
-I just make sure all the water i put in matches the water thats in there now and its all good.

You may be able to find a better price on it somewhere else i just haven't looked elsewhere for it. Oh yeah and its made by Wardley

Hope this answers some of your ?'s
thank you for the response!! I will go and get some today!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts