Piranhas Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 55 gallon w an s. brandtii and have a pengiun 170gph with a prefilter.

Q is.. should i hook up the aerator or leave it be? the ph is midway down the tank and I was wondering if the bubble will irritate my brandtii?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Can I put my powerhead in the middle 900 gph for a 75

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi all
can someone advise me on whether or not i need a power head and if so which one. i am currently running 2 AC110s in a 90 gal tank i got 4 rbs. i run the light and 1 ac110 on a timer from 11-7 would prob ad the power head to that and put filter on constantly. they have plenty of places to hide/rest, i have a huge root decor in the middle of the tank that spans from top to bottom (its where they spend most of their time). and another root deco in the corner surrounded by some plants(fake). the p's are quite active maybe could be a little more, there is always one that comes out only when the lights go out.
I guess the question is do the AC110s create current, is it enough, is it really required?
thanks for any advice in advance

·
7,344 Posts
that really depends on your personal preference... I like lots of flow to keep waste suspended until the filters pick it up. Its not really "required" but can help in a few ways.

putting power heads and filters on a timer can reduce the life of the pump / impeller... I would put the filter on 24/7 regardless of adding a powerhead, and if you put a powerhead on the timer try to minimize on and off cycles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ya i guess it is personal pref, i will take that second filter off the timer though.
Now do you have a preference on powerheads, i read that the koralia is great, i was thinking about going with the 750, i also saw that alot of ppl were talking about the ac70, i want to stay away from maxi jet, had a horrible experiance with the emp 400 bio wheel so marineland is out for me

·
7,344 Posts
I have always used the maxijet 1200s and never had problems... if you want more flow they make the "sureflow" propeller adapter for them, which is pretty impressive flow. Have about 6 of them running in various places in a SW setup. I highly doubt you would want more flow than a 1200 in your tank, but like I said its all owner preference.

The Hydor powerheads are also great, just a little more money.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts