Piranhas Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
i have a 75g and i purchased a powerhead ac802 and it doesn't seem to do the job of circulating the water so i went to my favorite lfs and purchased a mag-drive utility pump, that they use in small ponds, that flows at a rate of 700 gph. more power!!! lol. the caribes seem to love the strong current at the middle of the tank, i wish i had a video camera to show you guys this. it is like they are salmon trying to get up stream, it is funny to watch! i have some good sized drift wood down below so the little guys can take a rest from the current. it definately makes nice ripples in the sand down below, it looks like the sands in the sahara desert. the mag-drive is positioned on the far back left of the tank at about mid level. the current is constantly flowing in a circular pattern and what's cool is all of the debris and fish waste accumilates in one area which sometimes churns up like a little tornado on the bottom. the pump didn't have any suction cup mount or anything to place it on the side of the tank so i went and got one of those big suction cups with a stainless hook on it. i straightened the hook out a little to hang the pump on in the tank and it works fine. the pump also has a mechanical pre-filter much like some other powerheads i've seen with a foam cylinder over a cone screen. it also comes with a 8 ft. power cord, so i didn't have a problem reaching the outlet. the pump cost me 75.00, which isn't bad considering that you would pay about that much for a powerhead model 802 that flows only 400 gph. this pump definately does the job. i have the powerhead 802 providing a stream of bubbles for aeration working with the mag-drive,although it's not as quiet as the 802. i thought i might post this info for you guys out there that are looking for more "POWER" in your powerheads.

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
when calculating the rough GPH that you would need for your tank. would you take into account the GPH of your filters as well? or are they considered totally separate?? ive always wondered that:D

ive got a 55 gallon, with one 330GPH HOB filter, and another 170 GPH biowheel filter. so that adds up to...500GPH.

how much would i need for a powerhead? or is it the 200-sumthin' GPH the calculator worked it out to?

thanks el twitcho, sweet thread

·
Let's split up gang!
3,693 Posts
One more thing to take into consideration when choosing a powerhead is the size of your p's in relation to the strength of the powerhead. A 2-3" p is gonna have a hard time overcoming the suction of a big powerhead.

I lost a few this way. I would turn the ph on whenever I thought my p's where big enough to have it back on, and I lost one everytime I was wrong.
Personally, I'd wait till they're at least 4" for a strong powerhead.

·
Registered
656 Posts
What about the cord coming out of the top of your powerhead? isnt there a way that water could get inside and fry your fish?

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Puff said:
when calculating the rough GPH that you would need for your tank. would you take into account the GPH of your filters as well? or are they considered totally separate?? ive always wondered that:D

ive got a 55 gallon, with one 330GPH HOB filter, and another 170 GPH biowheel filter. so that adds up to...500GPH.

how much would i need for a powerhead? or is it the 200-sumthin' GPH the calculator worked it out to?

thanks el twitcho, sweet thread
[snapback]926507[/snapback]​
Sorry I missed your question until now, 400 gph should be good for a 55 gallon.

scrappydoo said:
One more thing to take into consideration when choosing a powerhead is the size of your p's in relation to the strength of the powerhead. A 2-3" p is gonna have a hard time overcoming the suction of a big powerhead.

I lost a few this way. I would turn the ph on whenever I thought my p's where big enough to have it back on, and I lost one everytime I was wrong.
Personally, I'd wait till they're at least 4" for a strong powerhead.
[snapback]929352[/snapback]​
What I did was used a quickfilter attachment when my piranhas were still young, worked pretty good for me and it's a useful thing to have lying around when you want to clear your water real quick.

zrreber said:
What about the cord coming out of the top of your powerhead? isnt there a way that water could get inside and fry your fish?
[snapback]955093[/snapback]​
The hole is insulated with epoxy and is waterproof, since the powerhead is meant to be submersible, they covered that pretty well

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey everyone.....I have'nt been to the site in forever and a day, but I have still got my 3 reds and a pygo, (as well as some new additions...convicts that hide and a red tiger oscar with no lower jaw) due unfortunately to his aggressive attitude towards the fish that actually have teeth. What a big dummy.

Anyway, my thoughts on powerheads is that they are ok depending on the size powerhead, but for any of you out there with enough money and a tank big enough (i'm running a 125 right now) Try considering a pond pump from a store that specializes in such things. I'm currently running a pump that puts out 2000 gph and my fish love it. Then again, all my p's are roughly 8+inches and over 3 years old now too.

Advantages to having this setup rather than a powerhead you ask ?

#1. Much more flow rate (obviously) which not only increases surface agitation to a point, also gives the fish a workout (constant eaters)

#2. The pump I'm running is actually quieter than the dual aquaclear 802 powerheads I was running, and puts out WAY more flow in terms of gph.

#3. With long enough feed and return hoses, you can conveniently hide the pump filter in a spot of your choosing, out of the way.

#4. Less room taken up in the tank. (all you run is the feed tube under the rocks, etc. or whatever it is you have in your tank, and the same with the pickup line) I have mine set up where you cant even see them except where the tubes come into the sides of the tank.

#5. No real need for bio filters and other bulky looking equipment normally used to keep tank water 'looking' clean. (yes, you still have to test for ph, nitrate, ammonia,etc.) But all you see is a tank with 2 tubes going into it.

I find it to be much more convenient than using powerheads, a bio filter or two, and a bubbler......all you need is one HUGE pond pump and your tankwater will move like the colorado river! (and the external canister filter picks up everything in a washable foam element so you never have to stick your hands in the tank, thus polluting the fish' environment).

To give you an example of the efficiency, last month I had to do a complete tank change (it was very nasty) I could'nt even see the other side of the tank when looking at it head on. (keep in mind it's a 125 gallon tank so it's not exactly small).

I plugged in the pond pump, and within 10-15 minutes, the water was almost crystal clear and there was no junk in or under the rocks. Then, of course....I still had to change the water anyway, but hopefully this will give everyone some ideas.

·
Registered
75 Posts
are all powerheads submersable? I just purcased an ac 802 and it has a lable on the side that reads "water line" then it goes on to say do not immerse beyond water line. also do I have to worry about my plants with too much surface agitation produced by the powerhead.
Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
edmond said:
are all powerheads submersable? I just purcased an ac 802 and it has a lable on the side that reads "water line" then it goes on to say do not immerse beyond water line. also do I have to worry about my plants with too much surface agitation produced by the powerhead.
Thanks
Ed
[snapback]1149544[/snapback]​
AC's are submersible

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply. I always get nervous about putting something that's pluged in to power, under water. Just so I'm clear the warning on the side is just a disclaimer? Other people have put the Aqua clear 802 complety under water before?

·
The devil's son in law..
3,626 Posts
edmond said:
Thanks for the fast reply. I always get nervous about putting something that's pluged in to power, under water. Just so I'm clear the warning on the side is just a disclaimer? Other people have put the Aqua clear 802 complety under water before?
[snapback]1149569[/snapback]​
The line you are seeing is that you are NOT supposed to have that line ABOVE the water line.

Aquaclears are fully submersible, and yes I have an 802 running at the bottom of the tank.

·
The devil's son in law..
3,626 Posts
edmond said:
thank you (I feel dumb, I should learn to read). How about my other question, The one about plants?
[snapback]1149584[/snapback]​
You should direct that to the Plants section of Pfury. You have a better chance of getting a good answer there!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts