Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
OK folks, I am a virgin when it comes to piranhas. I have had alot of fish, but from what I have read on this board it seems that piranhas are difficuklt to take care of. Currently I have 4 Pacus from 5-7" have had em for about a year with no troubles what so ever. I am thinking of ordering some .5" RB's from Aquascape. I would like some input help on what kind of tank, filter decor , etc. you guys would suggest. I am very excited about getting goin on these, but I know I just cant get a bowl and throw them in there when I get them. I will prolly just order 2 RB's for now. I would appreciate the help guys.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Close to 10 x turnover rate for gallon ratio on the filter. (messy) Make sure when they are bigger protect the heater from bumps. And lots of food. Oh yeah you want at least 3 it will spred the aggression. 2 will fight alot. And when they are full size try to get as close to 20 gal per piranha. And do lots of gravel vacs. (1 time a week)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok cool sounds good. What about a filter ? whats a good kind ? I needa hit the fish store tomorrow anyways for more food for my Pacus I can get a check on prices while I am there on diff ones.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The filter size depends on the size of the tank. A regular power filter should work just fine though. If you would like to spend a few extra bucks, a filter with a bio-wheel would do your tank alot better in the long run though. I believe the company that makes the bio-filter product is called Penguin power filters.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Emp also make the bio-wheel. If you going to do some homework first, and have some time to wait, I would check out bigalsonline. Way better selection and prices compared to any LFS. Wouldn't be that big of a difference in heaters and filters as your other tanks. Same concept, except the extra filtration. I also have mine at around 10x turnover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts