Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a buddy is selling me 5 of his stendodactylus doriae (sp?)(3.2) hes moving and there soon breed. he says that wild caugh arent really to pricey but if the captive breed they sell for 55+ canadian dollars. talking to a local pet store owner i was told he would buy them off me
same with my red eared sliders when they breed
. he said he would give me all of the for 50 bucks. just want your options.

also

i found some CB amazon tree boas in the phase i want for $300 pretty pumped for that

any suggestion/comments are welcome

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Are you set up for breeding? And do you have the cash to set up? To maintain? To pay for the added hydro? Because it's a lot of work. A friend of mine and I have been talking about picking a herp and proceeding with breeding them...

We're most likely going to focus on quality crested geckos because they're a good seller and not very expensive to maintain. Plus they are incredibly popular in the market right now.

I would say pick one herp and proceed from there. Also make sure you have the time to adequately care for these animals and if possible get someone to help you out with them.

I have a friend who breeds bearded dragons and that cost is rediculous.

Also be aware that you probably won't be making any money in the first two years or so that you pursue this as you'll simply be recooping the costs of buying quality stock and all the supplies you need.

If it's what you want then good luck. But definitely think it through first. And also be weary of pet shops that aren't in big cities. There is only so much demand for certain herps.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have all the required tanks, im in the process of creating an encubator (mind my spelling?). money really insnt a problem, and for hydo i live with my pops so for now its free
. im really not looking to make any mass profit its more for the experence. i know the owner would buy either the turtles and/or the s.doriae and from what i know so far my feeding cost wont increase cause i get 500 crikets every 2-3 weeks for my breadie, i figure there are about 100 or so dead each time i buy a new box of crikets so im thinking that if i can feed them to the doriaes b4 they all die it wont matter. and i know if they breed ill get at least 25-30 bucks each lizard so thats cool i still need to work out some small details but i think i can do it, and i believe ill learn lots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts