Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I'm getting my new tank today and want to get started on it as soon as it gets there! I am pretty sure it is going to be a standard 125 gal but it might be a 150 or 180 gal. I dont know yet. Lets go with the 125 for this post. I am concerned about cycling it correctly. I have read the fishless cycling post. As far as flitration, the skdster told me:

Regardless of you getting a powerhead or not, I'd get for a 125gallon:
2x AC110(500) Keeps your tank sparkly clean
1x Large canister filter of your choice.
OR
1x AC110(500) Keeps your tank sparkly clean plus decent bio-filtration.
1x Emp400 (extra bio-filtration)

I'd get an Eheim. Super-silent. I can't even hear my 2217 with the hob's & air pump off!

REMEMBER!
-Clean your substrat before you out it in your tank
-If you don't want to wait over 3weeks for feeder-cycling, do the FISHLESS CYCLING method.

Do you all agree? What about heaters? Any thoughts?

Sorry I know I am hitting every topic in this post such as water chemistry, tank and equipment etc. but I need some quick responses.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
I think your asking how to get your tank cycled quickly so you can get your fish in there.
Get some precycled bio media from an old tank or substrate. and put it in your filter with the new bio media. The AC's will give plenty of room to do that.
If the AC's dont' come with the tank or you don't already have them you might consider getting a couple cannister filter instead of having 3 HOB filters and powerheads.
I'd say a paif of XP3's would be ok for a 125. A 180 I'd say just spend the cash and get a FX5.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Okay guys, I'm getting my new tank today and want to get started on it as soon as it gets there! I am pretty sure it is going to be a standard 125 gal but it might be a 150 or 180 gal. I dont know yet. Lets go with the 125 for this post. I am concerned about cycling it correctly. I have read the fishless cycling post. As far as flitration, the skdster told me:

Regardless of you getting a powerhead or not, I'd get for a 125gallon:
2x AC110(500) Keeps your tank sparkly clean
OR
1x AC110(500) Keeps your tank sparkly clean plus decent bio-filtration.
1x Emp400 (extra bio-filtration)

I'd get an Eheim. Super-silent. I can't even hear my 2217 with the hob's & air pump off!

REMEMBER!
-Clean your substrat before you out it in your tank
-If you don't want to wait over 3weeks for feeder-cycling, do the FISHLESS CYCLING method.

Do you all agree? What about heaters? Any thoughts?

Sorry I know I am hitting every topic in this post such as water chemistry, tank and equipment etc. but I need some quick responses.
i would go with 2 canisters and 1 HOB if it is a pygo tank, this will allow you to have more bio-media in the canisters, if it is a 180g get 2 of each
it is pricey but you can NEVER have to much filtration!
try and get some bio-spira, i cycled my 135g in 10 days or so with it
just make sure u have some kind ammionia reading in the tank first
what r u putting in there?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
whats going in the tank..... many pygo, 1 serra???

heaters are hit and miss but dont go cheap....i have had no prob. with my "all glass" has dont me well its the one with the temps on the top

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.