Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use gravel from home hardware or a garden center? I seen somebody with slate chips that looked pretty good, but I can't find them up here.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would not recommend it. I used some gravel once meant for landscaping, and I had problems with pH in the tank. You can't be sure what is in the stone and how it's been prepared. If it has a lot of acidic minerals, your pH will stay low, no matter how much "pH UP" solution you add. I went through bottles of the stuff to no avail. In addition, my Oscar's contracted a disease from the low pH and died. I know the gravel you can get at home centers is cheap and offers other interesting options, but it is NOT worth the risk, believe me.

RL

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
ralphinnj said:
I would not recommend it. I used some gravel once meant for landscaping, and I had problems with pH in the tank. You can't be sure what is in the stone and how it's been prepared. If it has a lot of acidic minerals, your pH will stay low, no matter how much "pH UP" solution you add. I went through bottles of the stuff to no avail. In addition, my Oscar's contracted a disease from the low pH and died. I know the gravel you can get at home centers is cheap and offers other interesting options, but it is NOT worth the risk, believe me.

RL
as he sais gravel from outside can mess up your ph and kh? and they might have some toxic minerals inside, so i wouldnt recommend it either...

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Its fine, just wash the gravel better than usual. Piranhas are pretty hardy when it comes to PH. I wouldnt worry too much about PH for piranhas

·
Registered
99 Posts
I use all-purpose gravel, it was only $4 for a 50lbs bag. With this stuff you have to rinse it REALLY well. my p is doing really well with it and it has not caused any problems.

GIR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts