Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am all out of ideas, my water is getting nasty. Its looking more green every day. there isnt any algae on the glass, cause i cleaned the glass like a week ago. Ivwe done water changes, ive changed the carbon, i cleaned the styrafoam sponge, i dont leave food in the tank, and the water wont clear up. The water just started getting nasty about a week and a half ago. Anything else i can do? just throw out some ideas please. im going to take a sample of the water to my lfs, but i test the ammonia myself, and its fine.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Is it getting natural sunlight? If so how long? Could be an alge bloom. If worse comes to worse. Put your fish in a bucket drain and clean your tank with baking soda refill. And add biospira and bio safe. It should be fine for your fish. It cycles your tank in 24 hrs.
Make sure if you do drastic measures to use that stuff. Don't use cycle. I have nothing good to say about that stuff. And do yourself a favor and add a ugf. Then your filter will not have as big of an effect on your cycle.
I have added my fish right after all tank setups with this stuff. Never had a problem yet.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive been talkin with winkyee and he said the same thing, that it might be a algae bloom. I realized that the tank is getting way too much light. Not so much natural light, but light from the tank hood. I leave it on all day. I really dont want to drain the tank, but i think i might have to do that in a day or two if this doesnt clear up. Im going to keep the hood light off for a day, or two, and see if that helps. But if i do drain everything, that bio stuff you were talking about, is it safe to just put the tap water in and add that stuff, then add the fishes at the same time? This would be ok for my piranas? Because even if the stuff only takes 24 hours, which is a lot less than a week which is what it took me the first time to cycle, its still 24 hours that the fish are swimming in water with very little bacteria. Also when i clean the tank with baking soda, how do i do this? just pour some in and clean the glass and gravel with it? or should i let the baking soda sit in the water and tank for a while?

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Use as last resort.
Just put soda on a scrubbie and clean sides with it. And rinse do the same with filter. Add new pads and carbon. Bio spira can be added staight from the tap. And put fish in. I whould also use bio safe with it. It will remove the chlorine and heavy metals from tap. Your fish will be fine. Your tank will be cycled in 24 hrs.
No need to worry before then because there is no ammonia or nitrites in new water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.