Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my uncle deep sea fishes alot and catches some massive stingrays gets pics of em and lets em go....he has a huge boat and one time caught one bigger than his boat i wouldnt beleive it until i seen the pic haha but its true...well i was telling him how much they cost in pet shops and stuff and he said he would send me a few small ones...will this work? will it live? and what do i need to know about these guys and saltwater? are there freshwater rays? and any tankmates ppl recommend for this and what size tank? let me know! thanks
and by the way i like keeping smaller fish and raising them so im not looking for anything for life...when it gets pretty big i plan on selling it =)

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Hold on, there are cold water sting rays, fw rays, and tropical sw rays. They are all different. All of them grow big and some grow huge. Tankmates need to be non agressive and wont pick on the rays disc. Take a look at my rays pictures along with dracofish. After deciding what you want then we can proceed from that.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well its probaby gonna be a tropical sw ray because it will be caught in the gulf of mexico....i mainly just want a ray and if its a free one...nothing better than that for beginner in the sw enviroment...i told him i would call him when i had a tank cycled and stuff but not sure what size i should start with...let me know! i dont really need a community tank but my g/f has always wanted a clown fish but dunno if that would work with a ray..if not its ok =) let me know

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
some sw rays are really hard to keep. Well since your getting it for free you might as well try. Somehow i think your fish that you are getting for free arent the ones you buy or found the your lfs. I think they maybe harder to care for. Pictures please.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I've only seen 1 SW ray, and it was almost dead in the store.

if it's free try it, but you might want to do some major research and make sure that it's not going to get huge, like the one you said was bigger than his boat.

when it gets big you might have to find an aquarium to give it to depending on size, take that into consideration too.

·
Registered
711 Posts
i think that the attitude that "its free, give it a try" is ridiculous and arrogant. part of being in this hobby is the appreciation of these animals and keeping something that is 99% sure to die is utterly irresponsible. it is just like petsmart selling a 10 gallon tank and an oscar to someone or stores selling FW morays. dont get a fish unless you can provide it a good home and a reasonable chance to survive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.