Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tested my water and it reads a pH level to about 7.4-7.8, is that okay for a HighBack rhom? If not, whats the best way to safely acclimate it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
eL ChiNo LoCo said:
I tested my water and it reads a pH level to about 7.4-7.8, is that okay for a HighBack rhom? If not, whats the best way to safely acclimate it?
[snapback]925434[/snapback]​
Sounds a bit high to me Though I don't know the specific requirements of a high back rhom. I would guess for most p's the ideal is under 7.0

You're under 8.0 so that's probably not too bad.
If you have something on hand to bring it down a little before the P arrives, go for it. If not, then onto your second question...

SLOWLY, that's the best way to acclimate it.
Then' once it's settled in, you can start taking steps to bring the PH down a little.

Sorry, don't know much about lowering pH, where I'm from it's hard to get the pH above 6.5.

Hope that help and gool luck with your new rhom

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Yarbles! I have some good looking branches from a tree that we trimmed like a year ago preparing for the tank, because, if Im mistaken, wood brings the pH down, right?

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
7.4-7.8 is fine. Is it also the same out of your tap ??? You have no worries putting in your rhom unless your tank is not cycled. Just acclimate him like you would any fish.
EDIT -- Acclimate it by adding a 50% mix of tank water to the water that it comes with. Let him sit for an hour. Place in tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts