Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 4 rbp. my biggest one is 6 inches. how big of a pleco do i need to get so that they wont kill him. at my lfs, they have 7 inch ones for 7 bucks. or they had 13 inch ones for 20 bucks. wich size should i get, or should i get a diff size.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Your P's will eventually kill a pleco no matter what size you get. It is all a matter of time.

~Dj

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
yeah you never know when your p's will make dinner out of them so go with the cheapest one you can find and place some hiding spots for him in the tank...so he can hide in case they decide to pick on him..

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
thePACK said:
yeah you never know when your p's will make dinner out of them so go with the cheapest one you can find and place some hiding spots for him in the tank...so he can hide in case they decide to pick on him..
yes hiding spots are the key. Mine is doing great because he has lots of places to hide!

·
Registered
6 Posts
yea hideouts are key. i kept wakin up and thinkin my cleaning crew got chomped on the night before. but after like a week i noticed they were hiding in a rock and only poppin out when i dropped some feeders in. it is pretty cool because it seems like they know that the feeders are their distraction.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Go with the 20 dollar one man
My pleco coexist (?) perfectly fine with my spilo! No problems at all, I think as long as the pleco has a place to hide it will do fine. BUT if you buy the smaller one, the piranha might not see it as a meal, so it's your play man. Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
If i were you i wouldnt even get a pleco.... get ur self a nice striped rapheal catfish....... they work out real nice w/ cleaning ur tank, you dont even have to feed them they just eat wat the P's dont.... just clean the glass of ur tank whenever u do a water change
-i have 2 rapheals in w/ my 5 Red P's and they do great

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
You should buy the bigger one...the bigger the better is a rule with Plecos too...only buy Plecos bigger than 10" for your Ps (and sometimes twice their size)...!

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
tyourkie66 said:
i have 4 rbp. my biggest one is 6 inches. how big of a pleco do i need to get so that they wont kill him. at my lfs, they have 7 inch ones for 7 bucks. or they had 13 inch ones for 20 bucks. wich size should i get, or should i get a diff size.
try a smally one, they grow fast

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Right, they grow fast but can be killed before that happens...!

I´ve been more lucky with the bigger than with the small ones...just my experience...!

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I'd go for the cheaper one - if it goes bad, it's only 7 bucks, and pleco's grow fast anyways... Besides that, a 7-incher will not put as much strain on the tank's bioload as a much larger one (don't know what tank size and filtration you have, but it's always good to keep that in mind as well!)

Keep in mind that every fish in a piranha tank is a potential meals (even a 12" pleco), but usually they do fine. I have two pleco's (one at4" and one at 6") with my reds for well over a year now, and some succeeded in keeping pleco's with p's for a much longer time, but you'll just never know...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.