Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting an 80 gallon tank from my uncle monday night with all the gravel, decorations, drift wood, filters and pumps for $250, I have one in a 20 gallon ank, and he is boring, how many can an 80 G tank hold comfortably?

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
if you don't want to upgrade your tank later i would suggest getting 4-5 pygos in there or a huge rhom. it depends wether you want a shoal or just one big old beast.

Joe

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Congrats: sounds like you got yourself a nice deal!

What kind of piranha do you have atm? If it's a redbelly, you could add 3 or 4 more (but then you will have to upgrade eventually). If it's a serrsalmus, I don't recommend adding more.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right now theres a 5" red belly in the 20 gallon, they told me at the lfs that if I try to add more piranhas in with him, then he will kill them, is that true?

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
yea, id move the small red bellyies to your new tank, once your new tank gets cycled. Then maybe use the smaller tank for breeding guppies for them, or a baby rhom?

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
jimbo said:
right now theres a 5" red belly in the 20 gallon, they told me at the lfs that if I try to add more piranhas in with him, then he will kill them, is that true?
No that's not true. If you get red bellies around the same size as him and make sure to rearrange the 80 when you add them so that there are no territiories set up then all should go well.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
jimbo said:
It really depends: some have lost their added fish, others (like me) have managed to add new fish without trouble: I added 5 1-1,5" reds to the one I already had, which was about 4"in size then, and they are all doing great.
But you simply cannot know how the fish will react to each other...

If you add more in the 20 gallon tank, then they'll probably start attacking each other, because of the limited tank space. If you drop them all in a larger tank at the same time, they'll probaly be fine, because they all have to adjust to their new surroundings, and won't pay much attention to each other the first days.

·
Registered
492 Posts
In 80 gallon you can house 4 reds in for life, Maybe you will have minor problems but I dont think anything serious. Whats the deminsions on your 80 gallon tank?

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
jimbo said:
It´s not true. You can try 3 more Red Bellies or even 3 Caribas or 2 Piraya and will do fine!

·
Registered
27 Posts
i had 2 piranha in a 25 gallon tank and as they got bigger they started fin nipping quite often. I gave them up cause I knew they would soon need and deserve a bigger tank. Now this week I plan to get a bigger tank.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
2 p's is not good, no matter what size the tank is. If you get them around 5" you could get a nice shoal, then when they get larger you could sell some or split them between two tanks. Yes their growth rate is fast but it does slow down a lot at about 6".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts