Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get a 46 bowfront this week and I want to have it drilled before I do all the setting up and all that(of course). My question is- what is the rule of thumb for drilling your tank? I can only do it once and I don't want to screw it up!!! Thanks guys.

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
Make sure the bottom is not tempered glass...I'm pretty sure only the 72g and 155g All-glass tanks can be drilled (and I would advise ordering them that way with the corner overflow already installed). My Perfecto 46g bow has a tempered bottom too.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Definitely check to make sure it isnt tempered before you drill and it is kinda a pain working around a tempered bottom tank but it can be done with some creativity.

Also... I would recommend paying someone else to do it... that way if something goes wrong it is on them.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Yeah, definitely have someone else drill the tank. Normally, you can find a place that will charge between $10 - $20 per hole and that will guarantee the tank's structural integrity.

·
Registered
841 Posts
My guess is drill the back of the tank near the top. Add a 90 elbow and angle the opening towards the water line.

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
My 72 gal Oceanic bowfront has a tempered glass bottom.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
How is one to tell if the glass is tempered? Unless its a brand new tank I suppose. I know for a fact that the 90 gal. all glass tanks can't be drilled.

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
How is one to tell if the glass is tempered? Unless its a brand new tank I suppose. I know for a fact that the 90 gal. all glass tanks can't be drilled.
There is usually a sticker at the bottom saying it is tempered glass, but never assume it is not tempered.

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
My tank has a sticker on the underside saying that it's tempered glass.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't even know they drilled them from the bottom. I was wondering how high up the back of the tank I could drill it. I just got the tank earlier-it's at my girls place. I saw a sticker on the bottom of the glass, I'll have to see what it says.

What are the cons of having it drilled in the back? The pros?

It doesn't need to be smack up against the back of the wall, either.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I didn't even know they drilled them from the bottom. I was wondering how high up the back of the tank I could drill it. I just got the tank earlier-it's at my girls place. I saw a sticker on the bottom of the glass, I'll have to see what it says.

What are the cons of having it drilled in the back? The pros?

It doesn't need to be smack up against the back of the wall, either.
you just need to plan ahead. Are you going to silcone in a overflow box? Are you planning on running some sort of durso standpipe design or just a common 90 degree elbow? The elbows can be a bit noisy. IMO the best thing to do is drill it near the bottom add a overflow box and build a durso!

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

Like this except yours will be exiting through the back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts